Royal with Cheeeeese - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Royal with Cheeeeese

Has anyone ever replaced all of their fluids with Royal Purple? I'm seriously considering this, but it'll be some good cash spent, so I'd like your opinions first!

Thanks all,
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 02:15 PM

Royal Purple

I watched this on Horse Power TV.They took a Camaro and ran it on the dyno for a base line,I don't remember the number's.Then replaced trans. fluid,diff fluid,and engine oil with RP.Ran the same car on the dyno with an 11hp gain.I may be wrong on the hp gain but it was more tha just a few ponies.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 04:26 PM

Yes. Brake fluid, rear diff and trans. Worth every penny -- particularly in the tranny. Engine, of course, gets Mobil 1 -- which dropped its operating temperature by 20%.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 05:17 PM

what are the opinions out there comparing royal purple to amsoil for tranny, and other lubes? i use mobil one for engine oil.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 05:20 PM

I changed mine after a few thousand miles. Haven't dynoed it so I can't say it gave me more HP. I haven't changed the brake fluid yet. I am waiting for stainless braided lines. I have heard of some people having gear whine from the diff that went away after going synthetic. I haven't paid any attention to mine.

B A, what kind of wheels are those? PM me with info, PLEASE!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBomber
what are the opinions out there comparing royal purple to amsoil for tranny, and other lubes? i use mobil one for engine oil.
I went with RP (Synchromax) because it seems to be designed specifically for manuals that were originally filled with ATF or motor oil. From what I gather, Amsoil has synthetic ATF or a synchromax fluid that's a 5w-30 oil. I might be wrong but that's the difference, I think. That's just for the tranny, I'm sticking w/ Mobil 1 Extended Performance for the engine.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrocketgto
I watched this on Horse Power TV.They took a Camaro and ran it on the dyno for a base line,I don't remember the number's.Then replaced trans. fluid,diff fluid,and engine oil with RP.Ran the same car on the dyno with an 11hp gain.I may be wrong on the hp gain but it was more tha just a few ponies.
I remember that episode! It was an 8rwhp gain. I think I may have it on tape somewhere. HotRod TV did the same on an 05 Mustang GT and got 6rwhp. Not bad for a fluid change. I wouldn't do it just to get more HP but if your fluids need changed at the time, then do it! You won't be disapointed.

'05 QSM M6
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOWHUH
I remember that episode! It was an 8rwhp gain. I think I may have it on tape somewhere. HotRod TV did the same on an 05 Mustang GT and got 6rwhp. Not bad for a fluid change. I wouldn't do it just to get more HP but if your fluids need changed at the time, then do it! You won't be disapointed.
In my opinion, that show was pure advertising hype. What kind of fluid was in the car before the change? How old was it? Did they put in another synthetic such as Mobil 1 after RP and run another dyno?

Quote:
RP Synchromax seems to be the forum darling for the tranny, but... RP does not list that tranny as meeting GM Dexron III standards, which is what the owners manual and Tremec recommend for the tranny. AMSOIL does make a similar fluid, the AMSOIL Synthetic Synchromesh Transmission Fluid (5w30), but again, this doesn't meet Dexron III standards. I use AMSOIL ATF in the Tremec tranny in my Z06 as this fluid does meet Dexron III standards.

AMSOIL has started to included RP in their comparative oil testing. Here is a recent one done on motorcycle oils. Draw your own conclusion as to how RP stacks up against the other top motorcycle oils.
AMSOIL Motorcycle Oil "White Paper" (1 MB pdf file)
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBomber
I used RP 5w-30 in my engine and rear end in my race car....bearings always came out in GREAT shape and never had an issue with rear end concerning ring & pinion lubrication or noise from same...4.86 in a 9" ford .

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subdriver
In my opinion, that show was pure advertising hype. What kind of fluid was in the car before the change? How old was it? Did they put in another synthetic such as Mobil 1 after RP and run another dyno?...
The GT was brand new, so what ever fluid Ford put in it. The GTO has synthetic in it already (according to the owners manual recommended fluid) so I'm sure it won't be as much gains. The LS1 Camaro was an older model, maybe late 90's. I'm thinking it had castrol or equivilant. When they do the advertisements, I'm sure they do a comparison from regular oit to synthetic. In my opinion, any synthetic is better than regular oil.

'05 QSM M6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in