rubbing sound - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
rubbing sound

I have a 2004 GTO with 1800 miles on it. Soon after I drove it off the dealership I noticed a slight rubbing sound in the rear end when I let out the clutch from a stop. I took it to the dealership and had a technician take it for a spin. He brought it back and said it is probably just a charactaristic of the car.
I was just wondering if anybody else has experienced this.
undefinedundefinedundefined
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 03:29 PM

I do not think a rubbing noise is normal, do you have auto or stick? Did you change rims or tires? is the noise only when turning, straight ahead or all the time! My fiancee's stick makes no rubbing noises but she only has 600 miles on hers. The differential on C5 vets makes a noise when turning Gm has a special lubricant that needs to be added to the gear oil maybe the GTO has a similar rear end !

In any case do not settle for less than a full explination or have it fixed, a new car should not make rubbing noises!

Good luck
Robert
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 03:32 PM

oop's Stick Duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Robert

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

rubbing sound

The sound is only when I start from a stop. I hear it about 1 out of 3 times as i let the clutch out. It is just a slight noise but enough for me to hear it. I will take it back tomorrow. It almost sounds as if a wheel is rubbing in the wheel well.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 08:51 PM

It probably is, I hate people who says it's a charactaristic of the car. Rubbing in the rear at 1800 miles is a warrantee issue they are too lazy to address!
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 08:39 AM

Mine makes the same noise! I 've read on other forums that its axle chatter. Don't know if it is a problem or a characteristic of the car.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula White Hawk
Mine makes the same noise! I 've read on other forums that its axle chatter. Don't know if it is a problem or a characteristic of the car.
Just curious, what is "axle chatter"??? We have an M-6 and haven't had any rubbing sounds or chattering...... Does it do it at hard excelleration or just regular ol' driving? We are pretty hard on ours so I would think I should have heard something by now..... I've done a lot of "doughnuts" and drifting in our work parking lot and everything is as smooth as can be..... Maybe one of the rear springs needs to be changed.... I know that a lot of folks have a rubbing problem with the fronts at full lock to lock turning. Good luck on it.....
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 09:03 PM

look in the fornt springs and see if the red transport blocks are still in place. mine were.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 12:09 AM

Yea i have a `05 Gto and it sometimes sounds as if a tire is rubbing against the well. Like others said, its just during normal driving, stop-go. Would like to know what it is myself. Please post if you go to dealer to have fixed.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 01:05 AM

SAme noise

I have the same noise. It is worst when cold here in Dallas. After driving the car for a while it gets better. Even is better if the car has been sitting in the hot sun all day. But definately worst when it is cold. Sounds like it is coming from the rear end. I would say diff area.

It happens on slow takeoff's like regular driving.

Problem is, once I get it down to the dealership, it has already warmed up enough where it is not noticable. Ahhh

Driving me mad

Please someone find out what it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in