service engine oil light - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
service engine oil light

Ok driving down the road,and hearing this beep I look down and the service engine oil light came on.I had the oil changed not too long ago and still have about 1300 miles left untill the next change.Checked the oil,its full and looks good.Only thing I noticed was that they put 10w instead of 5.But having drove it around 1700 miles since the oil change I cant figure out why its doing it now? Any help would be appreciated,just bought the car a little over a month and this is one of the few problems so far. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 01:21 PM

They used 10W and you didn't make them change it to the right oil? Yikes. Good thing you change your oil every 3K.

Anyway, sounds like they didn't reset the oil life indication system. Turn the ignition key to on and step on the gas pedal a few times. That will reset it.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 01:57 PM
dizzy1

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
oil

Turn on your ignition key but do not start the motor,, press the peddle to the floor 3 or 4 times quickly and then turn the key off. this will reset your engine oil service light

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

thanks guys I really appreciate it,didnt know what was going on.Do you know why it just came on now after a thousand miles?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 06:47 PM

because it's automated. not sure what the criteria is but I'm gonna go ahead and guess it's a 3 month / 3000 mile thing ( since the last reset ).
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 07:12 PM

At least on the 04s, the owner's manual says something about the engine computing driving conditions and calculating when the oil is used up. I use Mobil 1, so I am not even sure it works accurately for me, so I just go by the 5,000 mile rule.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 06:52 PM

First of all, unless you live in the north pole, nothing will happen to your car with 10/30 or even 10/40 oil, so don't worry. The 'recommended' 5/30 is mostly due to fuel economy/emissions reasons, but you're talking fractions of a percent, IMHO. I noticed owner's manual doesn't list alternative viscosities anymore; new EPA regulations, I guess.

As far as the indicator, no car that I know has an oil-life sensor, so all is based on mileage and an algorithm for harder use, etc., so it needs to be reset every time you change the oil. Since I change the oil a lot sooner than the stupid computer would tell me, I don't reset it on my cars until it pops up, just like in your case. I also go 5K miles on fully synthetic oil myself. Take care.
JC
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 02:14 PM
dizzy1

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
oil light

YEP,, the oil light gets triggered by the mileage,, every 3000 miles. and as far as the grade of oil.. GM recomends 5W30 but they don't say REQUIRED, as long as you use a good name brand oil 10w30 or 10W40 will not hurt. I just bought a 2007 Jeep Wrangler Sahara to keep my Goat company in the garage and MOPAR says to use 5W20 in the Wrangler,, to me 5W20 is like water,, I am going to 5W30 at the 1st change
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 05:03 AM

I have done all of the steps on deleting the light but the light still won,t go out,any ideas.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 07:50 AM

It does NOT go off every three thousand miles!
It goes off whe the algorithm determines your synthetic oil has seen enough use based on how the car was driven. It states in your owners manual that if it doesn't go off for a year, you should change your oil anyway.

Mine has gone off every 6 - 7.5k miles. I give my car oil changes sooner than that and have tried to reset the oil life meter at oil changes but it doesn't seem to reset unless it has been triggered...

@Sparky, The steps to reset the notice in the owners manual is wrong, you need to pump the gas three times. So, turn on ignition (don't start), pump gas pedal three times to the floor, turn off car. Next time you start it the code should be cleared.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in