Shifting to 5th, got Reverse instead - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Shifting to 5th, got Reverse instead

Today on the way home from work, I was shifting through the gears at a rapid pace. At about 80 mph, I shifted from 4th and ground the he!! out of my clutch when the shifter went into the reverse slot.

I thought there was some kind of lock-out to keep that from happening. Is this not the case? There was a putrid burning smell for a mile or so thereafter, but everything seems to be in working order since.

Have any of you experienced this? Do you think I should have it looked at?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 09:50 PM

Most likely your reverse lock out solenoid is bad, if it's under warranty take it back to them and they will fix it.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 12:51 AM

it does have a lockout, you probably hit fifth but didn't have the clutch all the way in or something, cause....you really have to try to get it over to reverse

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 06:46 AM

Are you sure you were in reverse? I can't imagine being able to get the gears aligned enough without some horrendous racket from the tranny! What did it feel like through the shifter?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure I hit the reverse gear. I was shifting quite agressively and there was a lot of vibration through the shifter accompanying the loud grinding sound and later the burning smell.

I'm pretty sure the clutch was all the way in, but I suppose I could be mistaken since I was trying to shift so quickly.

Today, I was driving home and I tried to see if the shifter would move all the way to the right detent while cruising around 50 mph. With a little more force than normal, the shifter moved all the way to the right (although I certainly didn't try to push it forward.)
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjoakl
I'm pretty sure I hit the reverse gear. I was shifting quite agressively and there was a lot of vibration through the shifter accompanying the loud grinding sound and later the burning smell.

I'm pretty sure the clutch was all the way in, but I suppose I could be mistaken since I was trying to shift so quickly.

Today, I was driving home and I tried to see if the shifter would move all the way to the right detent while cruising around 50 mph. With a little more force than normal, the shifter moved all the way to the right (although I certainly didn't try to push it forward.)
How strong are you? Seriously- it can be pushed over with some force, but when in good condition, unless you are really using some muscle on it, I can't see it being pushed over while shifting fast. It would really require a serious attempt at doing so and some decent force. I do have a friend who is pretty big and his "normal-fast shifting" usually breaks stuff, yet I can drive the same car the same way and never break a thing (unless I try ) lol.

Unless you are like Lenny from "Of Mice and Men" like him, I can't really see it going into reverse on you with a good solenoid- get it checked out .
Joe
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 06:03 PM

more importantly, why were you shifting out of 4th at only 80mph??? that just aint right
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver04G-T-OHHH View Post
more importantly, why were you shifting out of 4th at only 80mph??? that just aint right
Heh- I didn't even catch that- anything 80 and below, I downshift into third . 40-45 and below, it is second. This is if I am driving for performance. Normal driving, I usually shift at ~2500.
Joe
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 02:04 AM

I had the same exact problem with my 01 C5. It would go past 5th into the reverse slot, and it would only do it when I was driving it hard, and my dumb a$$ kept pushing it up. I told my service advisor about it, but he wouldn't do anything about it. There were no codes, and they weren't able to reproduce it.

It happened to me 4 or 5 times over a 3 year period, and once the warranty ran out, the trany started acting up on me. It first started to grind going into reverse, and then the same thing with first.

Anyway ended up costing me $5K to replace the transmission.

I was hoping that they had found and fixed this problem since then. I guess I am glad I got the 100K mile warranty on it.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 02:10 AM

Oh by the way, you didn't recently install a 1-4 shift bypass and accidentally installed it on the reverse solenoid sensor instead of the 1-4?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in