Shifting grinding noise - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Shifting grinding noise

Sorry if this is a repeat but I've been looking forever and cant confirm what my problem is. I've had an 04 M6 for about a year now and when i shift into first from a stop, i get a grinding noise when i'm depressing the clutch. I don't feel anything, just hear it. From what I've looked around it seems to be a throwout bearing but i'm not sure. What do y'all think? Any info would be much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 07:53 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Stock shifter? It's not the throw-out bearing. Stop on flat ground, press the clutch pedal in, take your foot off of the brake and rev the engine. If there's any feeling of movement it may be the clutch, bleeding, etc. If not it could be the syncro

2004 Blk/Rd M6
6.3 litre LS1

Built and tuned by svede
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nah i have a B&M short shifter. Its not the clutch then because i dont get any movement on flat ground with it pushed in. But ive noticed its only from neutral to 1st, not any other gears. I took it to a dealership to get fixed (among other things) and the guy was wondering if it could be exhaust rattle. But i figured that couldnt be it either because its only in 1st. What would i experience if it were the synchros? I appreciate your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svede1212 View Post
Stock shifter? It's not the throw-out bearing. Stop on flat ground, press the clutch pedal in, take your foot off of the brake and rev the engine. If there's any feeling of movement it may be the clutch, bleeding, etc. If not it could be the syncro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in