Shimmy Shimmy Cocoa Bop - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Shimmy Shimmy Cocoa Bop

The Pontiackk is going in for new designer dino juice tomorrow. The oil life monitor finally tripped after abut 7,000 miles.

While it's in the dealer's shop, I've asked them to take a look at a front end shimmy I've been experiencing lately.
  • It happens intermittently
  • Generally happens when the car is cold, say first 15 - 20 miles
  • Happens on a wide range of road surfaces, (highway, secondary, city streets)
  • Does not seem to be speed dependent, happens from 25 - 80
  • Will correct itself in a few mintues
  • Does seem to happen after hitting the brakes but not every time
  • There is no brake shudder when the brakes are engaged

It's flippin annoying to get random arm massages from a new car.

I'm guessing a front caliper or both are not releasing and dragging a bit.
Can't be warped rotors as the brakes are smooth when applied.
Doubtful it's tires as they show no abnormal wear and it's intermittent.
Likewise for alignment, no wierd wear and the problem comes and goes.

Anybody experience this feature or have any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 11:11 PM

Have the exact same thing going on with my '04.

Thought it was a tire balance problem -- but had all 4 checked on a Hunter GSP 9700. One of the tires was slightly out of round -- but not enough to cause this. Really irritating at around 65 on the freeway.

Curious to find out what your cause is because I haven't had time to get to the dealership. Really, really frustrating.

Good luck in finding out what's happening on your end.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 08:27 AM

ya my 05 does that also in the morning feels like a bad tire or something you feel it but the steering wheel isnt shaking or anything

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05 goatman
ya my 05 does that also in the morning feels like a bad tire or something you feel it but the steering wheel isnt shaking or anything
Ditto on my 05. Recently started noticing it as the temps have dropped over night. Maybe something with front struts?
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 04:40 PM

you seriously waited 7000 miles before changing the oil ?

The sulphur deposits, amongst others, probably tripled There's a lot published on this subject.

I know you can run that long but why would you want to?

After 3K, my car actually runs better on fresh mobil 1 (by seat of the pants dyno)

your intermittent problem with brakes/shimmy; first i've read. good luck
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 06:35 PM

If you're running the stock snow tires that come with the car it's them. I just switched mine out today with F1's........huge difference in ride. My stockers would vibrate the steering wheel every morning for about five to ten minutes then smooth out........that's my bet.

JET
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

OK ready for the answer?.........GM Dealer says.......Needs four new tires!

Dealers really are scum. They obviously don't want to do any work under warranty.

The GM product has 13,000 miles on it. Most of those miles are highway as my commute is about 85 miles round trip with 75 of that on the highway. The tires have been rotated. There is plenty of tread depth left in tires.

The dealer service guy states that "the tires are cupped". All four? "Yes, you need four new tires." "Those low profile tires don't last long". And " you didn't rotate them often enough". Bull****!

At this point I mention that the right front tire is one that they sold me a few weeks ago when I had a sidewall failure on the right rear. The new tire went on the front and I had them move the fronts to the rear. Uh, wanna reconsider the statement that I need 4 new tires and they weren't rotated enough? At this point the service guy starts backpedaling having been caught in a lie. Buttwipes.

I've had low profile tires go 40,000 miles and the BFG's have a treadwear rating of 400. That's fairly high for a low profile tire.

Tires don't just cup for no reason with 13,000 miles of use. I ran my hand over the surface and can't detect any cupping. I can detect a lie however.

Final answer tonight from the losers at the Pontiackk store was "go buy yerself 4 new tires, ain't our problem".

This is almost exactly the attitude that made me walk away from Ford twenty years ago and I haven't bought a Ford since and never will.

I can't afford to own a car like this. Don't care about the money so much but can't afford to be dropping it off at the dealer and fighting about quality issues. I just can't afford the time.

I'm thinkin of dumping this domestic pig and going back to a European sedan.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 11:42 PM

hmmm i have 3300 on mine wonder what theyd say to that
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing_Nut
OK ready for the answer?.........GM Dealer says.......Needs four new tires!

Dealers really are scum. They obviously don't want to do any work under warranty.

The GM product has 13,000 miles on it. Most of those miles are highway as my commute is about 85 miles round trip with 75 of that on the highway. The tires have been rotated. There is plenty of tread depth left in tires.

The dealer service guy states that "the tires are cupped". All four? "Yes, you need four new tires." "Those low profile tires don't last long". And " you didn't rotate them often enough". Bull****!

At this point I mention that the right front tire is one that they sold me a few weeks ago when I had a sidewall failure on the right rear. The new tire went on the front and I had them move the fronts to the rear. Uh, wanna reconsider the statement that I need 4 new tires and they weren't rotated enough? At this point the service guy starts backpedaling having been caught in a lie. Buttwipes.

I've had low profile tires go 40,000 miles and the BFG's have a treadwear rating of 400. That's fairly high for a low profile tire.

Tires don't just cup for no reason with 13,000 miles of use. I ran my hand over the surface and can't detect any cupping. I can detect a lie however.

Final answer tonight from the losers at the Pontiackk store was "go buy yerself 4 new tires, ain't our problem".

This is almost exactly the attitude that made me walk away from Ford twenty years ago and I haven't bought a Ford since and never will.

I can't afford to own a car like this. Don't care about the money so much but can't afford to be dropping it off at the dealer and fighting about quality issues. I just can't afford the time.

I'm thinkin of dumping this domestic pig and going back to a European sedan.

Please do not hold an entire car comapny reliable for one @$$hole at a dealership. Take your complaint higher up the food chain. Speak to the service department manager, if not him then the General Manager of the store, if not him than the owner of the store.

If all of this fails then take the car to anyone of the other 2800 GM dealerships in the country. Please(speaking from an American dealership) do not let one moron make the rest of us look like morons.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 02:05 PM

I experienced this on my Trans Am GTA a few years ago when I had a set of BFG summer (ZR4) tires on it. It would sit in the garage for two or three days between drives, and the car would do the exact same thing. It was actually flat spots on the tires from the soft compound tires sitting on the garage floor under load for a few days. A bit of spirited driving to warm up the tires and problem gone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in