Skip Shift Eliminator - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Skip Shift Eliminator

Has anyone purchased this yet from SLP and have any comments about it or do you all M6s like to have that skip shift option?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 07:09 PM

I will get one when I know more about it. The 1<4 shifter is terrible, I don't understand how it's supposed to save fuel. If you accelerate slow, 4th gear will dog. So I have to wind up 1st gear which I don't want to do in my neighborhood.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 07:54 PM

i have one installed on my 05. bought it from corvette unlimited (or something like that, i don't remember). it was about $14, works fine.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Keep us updated!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 09:19 PM

I put a skip shift defeater on my Z06 about a month after I bought it. They cost about $19 and take about an hour to install, the vast majority of which is getting your car off the ground and back down. This little unit comes with a plug and resistor that plugs right into the line running to the tranny for the solenoid. The PCM sees the same resistance as the solenoid so it doesn't trigger any faults. The PCM still signals a skip shift and you will see the light on the dash, but the signal just goes to the resistor. It also comes with a cover to put over the now usless connection on the tranny to prevent water from corroding the plug in case you want to go back to stock.

A very easy and worthwhile mod.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 09:53 PM

does anyone know if the skip shift eliminators will void the warranty for the tranny (or anything else) ?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 10:26 PM

doh

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtojojo
does anyone know if the skip shift eliminators will void the warranty for the tranny (or anything else) ?
just saw where they are not for pollution controlled vehicles so i guess that answers that.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 10:58 AM

Quick and Easy Fix...

I have the 1>4 skip shift eliminator from SLP, and it puts you back in control of your own shift points (you will still see the 1>4 light come on though). The install is extremelly easy and can be done during your next oil change (if you change your own oil). Once the eliminator is installed, it is just that easy to remove it. I will assume that most dealers will find a way to avoid absorbing the cost of high end repairs...so an easy fix is to remove the eliminator prior to taking the car to the dealer should you have any problems with your tranny.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 02:13 PM

All you need for this is a 2200 ohm resistor (.99 at Radio Shack for a pack of five). Unplug the cable from the skip shift solenoid on the tranny, and then plug the resistor into the end of the cable. Then, seal up the cable end and solenoid connector to keep out the elements. This is detailed with pictures on LS1.COM in the mods section. Takes about 10 minutes. This mod is an absolute MUST DO in my opinion. Regardless if you take the cheap do it yourself route, or pay the extra money for the aftermarket version. 1 to 4 shifting is ridiculous.

Last edited by ITLXLR8; 02-26-2005 at 02:16 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 08:00 AM

how could it void the warranty? it's for fuel efficiency only. it changes nothing with respect to the engine, emissions, or the transmission.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in