SLP Loud Mouth II with Stock '05 Tips - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
SLP Loud Mouth II with Stock '05 Tips

Has anyone installed the SLP Loud Mouth II cat-back system on an '05, but swapped out the SLP tips for the stock ones? If so, how difficult was it to do and how did you like the results?

I just had this system installed four days ago and I think I'd like to replace the SLP tips with the stock ones. The stock tips appear shinier and slightly larger in diameter to me.

Comments welcome. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Kid
Has anyone installed the SLP Loud Mouth II cat-back system on an '05, but swapped out the SLP tips for the stock ones? If so, how difficult was it to do and how did you like the results?

I just had this system installed four days ago and I think I'd like to replace the SLP tips with the stock ones. The stock tips appear shinier and slightly larger in diameter to me.

Comments welcome. Thanks in advance.

Dear No Kid, ....I used my stock tips after a simple muffler swap. They are great, by the way.

Not difficult to do... for any average/decent welder! Having a helper keep the tips aligned properly while it is being welded in is necessary though!

I replaced my stock 05' GTO mufflers, & put on Flowmaster "Delta flow's". I saw NO reason to replace the pipes.

The sound is aggressive when reving, accelerating, & even de-accelerating ..but not ear resonating, & no thumping at cruising speeds.

I have been told that the Delta flow's are much like the "loud mouth II" system.

Please tell me what you think of your LOUD MOUTH II?

I'm very familiar with the regular LOUD MOUTH, ..as I had that one when I used to have my old 2000 WS6 T/A.

Last edited by tiger gto; 12-26-2005 at 09:45 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 09:46 PM

I have the LMII and have the same thoughts. The tips are slightly smaller. The sound is great though. Under a normal accelerate you hear the exhaust but its not bad at all inside. Cruising it is quite inside but you can hear it out back. When the motor is cold and you slowly accelerate (and I mean slowly, like your waiting for the motor to warm up) you can hear it somewhat loud in the car.

I really like the exhaust though. I got it because I was going to go with headers but now I want to get a six speed so its not going to happen.

09 G8 GT- Sold.. looking for another GTO
06 CGM M6- traded in for 09 G8 GT
05 CGM A4- traded in

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniorss
I have the LMII and have the same thoughts. The tips are slightly smaller. The sound is great though. Under a normal accelerate you hear the exhaust but its not bad at all inside. Cruising it is quite inside but you can hear it out back. When the motor is cold and you slowly accelerate (and I mean slowly, like your waiting for the motor to warm up) you can hear it somewhat loud in the car.

I really like the exhaust though. I got it because I was going to go with headers but now I want to get a six speed so its not going to happen.

Thanks for the info...! I sometims wonder IF I should have gotten the regular 40 series flowmasters as opposed to the more "civilzed" delta flow's??

Once in awhile I catch myself second guessing. I guess I just love seeing people run for cover when you put the accelerator to the floor, & you hear it scream.

I know "LOUDER" doesn't always mean bad a.ss, ..but the GTO's sure sound, & run bad a.ss.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger gto
Dear No Kid, ....I used my stock tips after a simple muffler swap. They are great, by the way.

Not difficult to do... for any average/decent welder! Having a helper keep the tips aligned properly while it is being welded in is necessary though!

I replaced my stock 05' GTO mufflers, & put on Flowmaster "Delta flow's". I saw NO reason to replace the pipes.

The sound is aggressive when reving, accelerating, & even de-accelerating ..but not ear resonating, & no thumping at cruising speeds.

I have been told that the Delta flow's are much like the "loud mouth II" system.

Please tell me what you think of your LOUD MOUTH II?

I'm very familiar with the regular LOUD MOUTH, ..as I had that one when I used to have my old 2000 WS6 T/A.
I like the sound of the Loud Mouth II. It's significantly louder than stock inside, but only somewhat louder outside. I unbolted the stock muffler/tip assemblies from the exhaust pipes and took them to my local muffler shop. We put the car up on their lift and took a look. The SLP tips are much longer than the stock tips and there is only enough space between the tips and the SLP mufflers to house the clamp that holds them together. So, a piece of pipe would need to be welded in between each muffler and each stock tip. The stock tips also have different bends in the pipe connecting them to the stock mufflers. I would want to use the stock hangers that are welded to the tips in order to ensure correct placement, alignment and extension. The muffler folks were very impressed with the quality of the SLP system and said that had no pipe of that quality. If I wanted to try to do this, I would need to find a length of the same high-quality pipe used by SLP that they could cut and use between the SLP mufflers and the stock tips.

We also discussed the possibility of SLP having some larger diameter tips that would be simple bolt-in replacements. The tips that came with the SLP system are 3.5". The stock tips are 3.75". You wouldn't think that .25" would make that much of a difference, but on the car you can really tell. I went to the SLP website and didn't see any generic tips other than what came with the system. SLP is closed for the holidays, so I'll have to wait until next week to speak with someone there.

Question: If I decide to replace the SLP tips by inserting a piece of pipe and welding it to the shorter stock tips, will the difference in tip length have any impact on the sound?

Thanks for your help.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Kid
I like the sound of the Loud Mouth II. It's significantly louder than stock inside, but only somewhat louder outside. I unbolted the stock muffler/tip assemblies from the exhaust pipes and took them to my local muffler shop. We put the car up on their lift and took a look. The SLP tips are much longer than the stock tips and there is only enough space between the tips and the SLP mufflers to house the clamp that holds them together. So, a piece of pipe would need to be welded in between each muffler and each stock tip. The stock tips also have different bends in the pipe connecting them to the stock mufflers. I would want to use the stock hangers that are welded to the tips in order to ensure correct placement, alignment and extension. The muffler folks were very impressed with the quality of the SLP system and said that had no pipe of that quality. If I wanted to try to do this, I would need to find a length of the same high-quality pipe used by SLP that they could cut and use between the SLP mufflers and the stock tips.

We also discussed the possibility of SLP having some larger diameter tips that would be simple bolt-in replacements. The tips that came with the SLP system are 3.5". The stock tips are 3.75". You wouldn't think that .25" would make that much of a difference, but on the car you can really tell. I went to the SLP website and didn't see any generic tips other than what came with the system. SLP is closed for the holidays, so I'll have to wait until next week to speak with someone there.

Question: If I decide to replace the SLP tips by inserting a piece of pipe and welding it to the shorter stock tips, will the difference in tip length have any impact on the sound?

Thanks for your help.

Im no expert on Exhaust flow, ..but I personally do not think a small bit of piping that you say you need for the tips is going to significantly change the sound at all.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger gto
Im no expert on Exhaust flow, ..but I personally do not think a small bit of piping that you say you need for the tips is going to significantly change the sound at all.
Bob.... I don't think it will change the sound at all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in