Some Thermal LS2 Pictures - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-06-2005, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Some Thermal LS2 Pictures

Since everyone under the sun is worried about heat soak and the LS1/2, I took these to see how bad the car heats up. Although the hood up pics were taken after a 15 or so minute drive on freeway and city streets (and the car was hot as hell), I don't think they fully represent how someone’s car at the track may heat up. So, with that said the first picture was after a 30 minute freeway drive. Yeah, it's pretty Hot.

I removed the Left Hood Scoop Insert for a comparison.

I was supprised to see the neck of the intake where it connects to the TB was not as white hot as expected.

Notice the line of heat starting from the center of the ribbed part of the intake and continuing to the right. I didn't notice until I was finished that that part of the engine bay was in direct sunlight. Between the last two pictures, you can see the difference. The black plastic does soak up sunlight quick. I'll have to take another pic when the engine is really hot and see if the intake looks hotter.

Last edited by GrayGoat; 07-06-2005 at 08:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-06-2005, 09:01 PM

How do you take pics like that? Must be a very expensive camera. Amazing. May I repost these pictures elsewhere?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-06-2005, 09:22 PM

you can see the reflection from the engine bay heat off the pavement in the first picture. Do you have a thermal scale that goes with the shades of gray to indicate temperature? How about some false color software to color code the temperatures, e.g., white hotests, followed by red, ... blue the coolest?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-06-2005, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005Goat
How do you take pics like that? Must be a very expensive camera. Amazing. May I repost these pictures elsewhere?
Yes, you can repost - No worries. The Imager used is from Thales Nederlands and I think they run around $250K. The US Navy ownes this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xman
you can see the reflection from the engine bay heat off the pavement in the first picture. Do you have a thermal scale that goes with the shades of gray to indicate temperature? How about some false color software to color code the temperatures, e.g., white hotests, followed by red, ... blue the coolest?
No thermal scales on this system, sorry....Our main goal with this system is to engage any hostile target with the smallest amount of heat signature.

And for those out there wondering, These images did not cost the tax payer any extra money.
Phalanx Block 1B
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 12:37 AM

And for those out there wondering, These images did not cost the tax payer any extra money.
Phalanx Block 1B[/QUOTE]
Thank God! I was getting worried! J/K. Those are some cool a$$ pics. Thanks! Look forward to more.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 06:36 AM

I would assume that the radiator behind the grill is 192* (based off my digitial coolant temperature readout when you place the dash in the diagnostic mode - hold both mode and set while you turn your car on - then step to the ninth item). That means the air sitting up under the hood is that or more. Looks like a good reason to remove the plugs in the hood scoops.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 08:29 AM

Those Phalanx systems are one of the coolest, most ingenious weapons systems ever created. A great idea and they sound wicked.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 02:37 PM

Very bad ass pics.... I wish I had stuff like that to play with....
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 03:13 PM

You can purchase a hand held(video cam style) short or long wave infrared camera for about 20K-25K from a number of companies such as FLIR or Raytheon. They produce color as well. Just remember, infrared energy is only transmitted from a surface, so it's not much good for air flow, though you can see the result of air flow temp. on a surface, but that requires experience & expertise in thermal imaging. Surface emissivity(ability of a material to emmit infrared energy) can vary greatly, causing misleading readings. A simple thermalcouple & inexpensive digital readout/voltmeter will give a much better picture of actual air temp at a given location at a specific time. Typical air inlet(air box) reading here in Arizona on a 100 deg. day at 60 mph varies between 105-120 deg. depending on the model of vehicle. It can reach 160-180 after a 15 minute idle & spike several degrees higher during a soak(eng. off). Here at the GM Desert Proving Ground we are constantly trying to find ways to lower inlet temps & still pass all the mandatory tests, such as dust & water intrusion. I have no personal experience with the GTO because the Aussies come over & perform all their own thermal developement. Hope this helps.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 03:46 PM

Great stuff- thanks for thinking of the idea and- most of all- posting it!

Thermal imagers are indeed great fun to play with!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in