Spark Plug Wires - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Spark Plug Wires

I posted a pic of the new vs. old spark plug wires in my gallery. I don't think I gained much by changing the plugs, but I think the wires made a huge difference. I knew from previous experience w/the big block in my '73 Buick that more fire to the plugs makes a difference. WOW!
I didn't need the "SOTP" dyno to tell the difference. Instead, the "Spin the Tires like crazy" dyno was immediate and gratifying evidence that I had done something right. I don't know if the PCM will learn to tune for the new plugs and steal the power back or not, but for now I can say
Needless to say, I would recommend this process for anyone who wants their car to run like it can and should. If I were to do it again, I would probably try just the wires first, so I could tell what really made the difference. I would be interested to hear from someone who does this, just to confirm or deny my theory. Perhaps someone has already done this, and could let me know what they thought.

Happy Motoring,

Maximental
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 11:13 AM

and those wires were ?

nice pics, how you like the shifter ?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 12:51 AM

I'll be the guinnee pig and try just wires and post the results when I get time.

What is your spark set at with your Predator?

I can do the plugs after I put some miles on them but I am pretty sure that they are gapped all over the place like my previuos LS1'S.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by westell
and those wires were ?

nice pics, how you like the shifter ?
If you are asking what I put in? Taylor .049s. I haven't seen my shifter yet. I like the T-handle well enough, but I can't wait to try it when it's on my new shifter. Supposedly the shifter will be shipped this week. I paid a premium price for overnight shipping, so I should hopefully have it ASAP.
Thanks for your response and interest.

Maximental
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxHax
I'll be the guinnee pig and try just wires and post the results when I get time.

What is your spark set at with your Predator?

I can do the plugs after I put some miles on them but I am pretty sure that they are gapped all over the place like my previuos LS1'S.
I don't really know what the predator has my ignition timing set @. For now I just installed the preprogrammed tuning set-up. Once I get my CAI put in, I'll have the guy that I bought the predator from do a custom tune for me. When I bought the Predator, it came with free lifetime custom tunes.
I bought from a guy that a number of people in another forum have been using. I think you know who, and which forum, I am talking about. The custom tuning thing was the selling point that pushed me over the edge, and got me to buy the tuner.
One thing I have noticed, and I think it's cool, is that after the tune, I can now use the engine for more engine braking. It seems like the engine is more responsive - "Tighter" is a word that comes to mind. It winds back down much faster after revving in neutral from an idle. Most of the popping noise on decel is gone when I let off the gas pedal. Overall it just seems smoother and more controlled - hence "Tighter."
Sorry, I guess I'm rambling. I look forward to hearing what you find out about the wires.

Maximental
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in