Squeaking - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Squeaking

Before I get carried away and spray my motor down with WD-40, is there a product recommended for stopping squeaking coming from the belt assembly? Preferably one that wont leave tons of grease-like residue behind.

Also, where are the common problem areas so I can avoid spraying everything down with the process of ellimination.

Thanks,

Evan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 08:48 PM

The belt setup on the LS2 in the GTOs is a chronic squeaker. A lot of people on the forum have had good luck with Goodyear Gator belts. I have a Dayco in mine at the moment cause the GM belt is like 160 or something crazy. Mine squeaks after it rains or if its humid. Otherwise it's more or less quiet. But the belt squeak with these cars seems to be commonplace. Don't forget about the AC belt either. That can be the culprit also and it's cheaper than the accessory belt.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanpatchay View Post
Before I get carried away and spray my motor down with WD-40, is there a product recommended for stopping squeaking coming from the belt assembly? Preferably one that wont leave tons of grease-like residue behind.

Also, where are the common problem areas so I can avoid spraying everything down with the process of ellimination.

Thanks,

Evan
Oh yeah, I wouldn't use WD40 on the belts. That's gonna make it squeak more. I'd just roll with it, honestly, unless the belt is cracked and worn.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 06:40 AM Thread Starter

okay I gotcha... Thanks for the info!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanpatchay View Post
okay I gotcha... Thanks for the info!
No problem

If its really bugging you though you can spray a small amount (real small) of belt dressing with the engine off. That stuff is sticky so don't rub it over the belt with towels or rags or residue will get on the belt and wear on the pulleys. Let me know what belt you choose, I'll be buying a new one soon, as mine is starting to show age.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 10:32 AM

I've tried the belt conditioner stuff - didn't work. I just replaced the belt and squeak went away.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Belt conditioners/dressings are for V belts to compensate for loss of tension when they stretch or dry out with age (adjustiment would also stop the squeaking on V belts). However, it's pretty much useless on serpentine belts since they have tensionsers.

P.S.: You don't really want to spray down your engine with WD40....it's flamable; both the propellant and the WD40 itself.

2005 Pontaic GTO - CGM 6 Speed (My car)
2017 Chevrolet Colorado 2WT (My daily driver)
2010 Mercedes Benz C300 Sedan (Wife's car)
2014 Kia Rio LX (Wife's daily driver)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 02:41 PM

My Vette squeeks for a minute or 2 when I cold start it on rainy days. My wifes 05 GTO did the same thing. We kinda just delt with it to be honest.

2003 Corvette Z06 - MGW shifter, Corsa X pipe, Corsa Xtreme exhaust, Texas Speed long tubes w/o cats, PowerStop rotors/pads, Conti DWS tires, C6Z51 F&R sways, C5R headlights, tuned

04 GTO - sold
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 07:52 AM

I get some squeaks at first start up when there is a lot of moisture in the air. I deal with it. Some people use silicone paste. I know of one person who bought a slightly smaller belt to take are of his chronic squeaking. Not sure if I'd put any extra tension on the pulleys that way.

Current: MGW-p, H-pipe, SS OTRCAI, Lovell rear springs, Eliminator shocks and Pioneer AVH-P3300BT, JBA LTs+catless mids, Drilled/Slotted rotors, Kooks Afterburners, catch can & Tune Next: ??? Wish list: Intake & TB, modest cam, UDP, gears
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 03:05 PM

Re: Squeaking

I have the same thing on my '04. The belt looks fine but will be noisey for about a minute upon start up. I just deal with it.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in