Stalling problem during hard exceleration - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Stalling problem during hard exceleration

I reused the stock air box but instead of using the drop in filter,I left it off and I used a cone type filter and put it in the opening of the air box. I made sure it was all sealed up and put the elbow back on and tightened everything up. I took the car for a ride and noticed an improved performance feel. I was actually spinning second on a roll. Suddenly after it warmed up I noticed when I punched it the car stalled and when I let off the throttle, it came back to life. I punch it and it stalled again and again when ever I got floored the throttle. Once I let off the throttle, it drives normal. No check engine light. So Im wondering if it is not sealed up as good as I thought, or the computer need to be reset due to the engine receiving air from a different source that its not used to. If it is not sealed properly, I will buy a stock type drop in filter and cut out the rest of the filter and use the seal to properly seal up the box. I dont want to use my K&N filter as the test mule, or the computer does not like the way the air is flowing into the mass air. Im assuming the air inside the box gives an additional pool of air for the engine. Im just wondering what other think could be the problem.I will put every thing back to the way I had it to make sure nothing else is wrong------Danfigg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

re

this is where I put the filter----danfigg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20120927_134543.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	563.3 KB
ID:	15735  

05 IBM M6 summit UDP Vararam OVRAI Dyno tech long tubes W 04/catted mids 04 spintech X-pipe merged into 05 kooks after burners In-tune diablo tuner
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 11:39 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
May I need ask, but did you do anything with the CAI sensor? unplugged?
usually the condition you describe and the changes you made makes it sound like it might be out or unplugged. Just guessin'

1964 400 4 speed Roller cammed RoadRacer
1969 400 T400 auto 2nd owner
2004 LS1 6 speed modded for roadracing
1966 GTO Altered wheelbase former 1970s show car
1973 Challenger 360/727
1931 Ford Model A

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

re

No i plugged the mass air back in. I thought that the plug might be bad as well, but I will check to make sure its plugged in properly----danfigg

05 IBM M6 summit UDP Vararam OVRAI Dyno tech long tubes W 04/catted mids 04 spintech X-pipe merged into 05 kooks after burners In-tune diablo tuner
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 03:24 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
you'd get a check engine light with that although it may still come on later. It could be an air leak or oil on the MAF. It's not getting that much of a difference in air to cause a problem. If you still have a problem buy some spray MAF cleaner and carefully clean the MAF sensor off.

2004 Blk/Rd M6
6.3 litre LS1

Built and tuned by svede
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 03:51 PM

Just a thought.... could it be due to the traction control kicking in? (it fits the symptoms if you are spinning the tires)...try turning traction control off!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

re

68 this was a complete stall and and as i let off the gas it comes back. I definately had the TC off. I just got my drop in filter and will seal it all up again and take it for a ride and see what happens-----Danfigg

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

re

Problem solved, I used the drop in filter and it ran good. I ripped out the paper element and she woke up. checked all the connections and I also found that the rubber connectto flipped under the clamp and I had an air leak for sure there as well. So now I have a cone type filter at the end of the air box and I used the remainder of the drop in filter without the paper as the gasket to seal the box. I am now getting cooler air from within the bumper and headlights. I will also see if I can isolate that area from getting head from the engine bay as well. Thanks for all your help it definately sent me in the right direction----danfigg

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 10:24 AM

I'd return it back to stock. I doubt your getting anything out of that setup.

It just 'sounds' faster.

2003 Corvette Z06 - MGW shifter, Corsa X pipe, Corsa Xtreme exhaust, Texas Speed long tubes w/o cats, PowerStop rotors/pads, Conti DWS tires, C6Z51 F&R sways, C5R headlights, tuned

04 GTO - sold
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 10:59 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
I also think you haven't really changed anything. The gains from a filter would be next to nothing and the stock box probably did a better job of isolating air as much as it can be from that placement. There is no significant air coming from the headlight. The stock system uses air from that little vent on the radiator cover and some holes under the box. You're still getting air from the same places.

2004 Blk/Rd M6
6.3 litre LS1

Built and tuned by svede
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in