steering column locks under accelleration - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
steering column locks under accelleration

I have a 2006 6spd GTO and am experiencing a couple of anomallies. At times when I strike a bump the radio will come on. Then a couple of times when accelerating agressively, while turning, the steering column will lock! Disconcerting to say the least. As soon as I back off on the accelerator the steering unlocks? The only commonality I can find is in the electrical controls in the steering column and the ignition switch. Problem seems to be post minor fender bender, car turned into left front fender, and the bumper skin and left headlight were replaced. I'm in Canada and as the model was never sold here there are few resourses such as manuals. Wondering if anyone else has experienced momentary column lock or has any insight. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 03:38 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Does it have headers?? Maybe they are contacting the steering shaft?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

no headers. Car is completely stock with 32,000 klm

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 10:41 AM

Re: steering column locks under accelleration

Have you looked at the steering linkage and see if anything is close to it?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

It is the steering lock mechanism that is locking up momentarily; why is the question. As I understand it when you shut the ignition electricity from the system is interupted to the lock securing it. My problem seems to be the interuption of current while the ignition is on. Where in the system it's occuring is the question. Have an appointment with a GM dealership next week; with no more Pontiac and the GTO never being available in Canada I guess I'm in for sticker shock!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It sounds to me as if the steering problem is being cause by shifting parts due to torque rather than the steering mechanism. It'll be interesting to learn the cause.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
The steering lock is mechanical. It locks on the turning of the lock tumbler.
It has no electrical contact.

Larry

2005 GTO Quick - 1984 Honda V65 Magna Quicker - 2004 Z06 Quickest
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

just finished having a GM dealership go through the goat; I won't say it was expensive but someone has more than one mercedes payment made on my behalf! Conclusion; Yes the steering lock is mechanical and no, there are no problems evident. The chassis, suspention, rack, brakes were all checked off. No answer! Not the result that I was looking for. At this time I am at a loss; the problem is intermitant and only seems to appear at extremely inappropriate times ie. when accelerating into a gap in traffic. Short of a total strip down forensic on it I have no idea on how to proceed. Will let everyone know if the "gremlin" is found. Thanks for the input.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 08:18 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Something with the power steering? Fluid? Belt slip?

2004 Blk/Rd M6
6.3 litre LS1

Built and tuned by svede
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
If it were me, I'd replace the lock cylinder.
Radio coming on when hitting a bump... In the steering wheel are buttons. I believe you can turn the radio on by hitting one of the buttons. Locking and radio coming on.... both share the steering wheel. Judging by this I'd think the issue is in the column. Steering locks when key is pulled and wheel turned. The lock mechanism controls this. Would seem to me since they both share the column the issue would be in there.

Many who have many keys and such on their key chain .... this adds weight. The weight pulling downward on the key eventually will begin to wear in the tumbler. Then they have issues and don't know it. Before they know it the key is beginning to catch, the tumbler wears and locking happens they can't turn the key etc. Spray DRY teflon spray in the cylinder or graphite. DO NOT use WD 40 or other sprays they attract dirt and lint and then ya have a gooey mess.

Try spraying the inside of cylinder with what I described and see if this solves the issue. If it doesn't then opt for a new locking cylinder.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

Last edited by GTO JUDGE; 03-26-2013 at 05:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in