steering wheel/ignition locked-help asap - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
steering wheel/ignition locked-help asap

i went to start my car and the key would only turn about 1/8th either way front or back. i tried turning the wheel thinking it was locked. nothing. ive been trying anyting for the last 30 min. wtf is going on!!!i just got the car not even a week ago. its 06 gto. its really p*ssing me off. i called the dealer and they assumed i broke somthing and tried talking to me like i was stupid saying it was just the steering wheel was locked.

any help would be fantastic. ill be walking back and forth from the computer and the car so message here or text suggestions to
478-960-7417

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

nothing?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 09:01 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
You could try some graphite lube to see if it helps. How many keys do you have? I'm sure you've tried them all, right?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukee View Post
You could try some graphite lube to see if it helps. How many keys do you have? I'm sure you've tried them all, right?
ive had the car a week. the dealer gave me one key. i didint know about the lube till now. so its too late now. its getting towed to the dealer tomorrow.

EDIT: appreciate the advise even though it was late. lol. how would the graphite lube work? ive heard of it when cleaning weapons. (im air force)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 09:22 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Let us know what happens.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by court_jester06 View Post
ive had the car a week. the dealer gave me one key. i didint know about the lube till now. so its too late now. its getting towed to the dealer tomorrow.

EDIT: appreciate the advise even though it was late. lol. how would the graphite lube work? ive heard of it when cleaning weapons. (im air force)
Graphite lube does not work.

There is a sticky on how to remove it here:https://www.gtoforum.com/f41/ignition...acement-27346/

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
The graphite will help to lubricate and eliminate friction but the wear process is what is the culprit.
Often times when attempting to turn the key you cannot move it the steering wheel while in the locked position puts pressure on the cylinder, slightly adjusting the steering wheel will allow the key to turn. Could be many are forcing the key while the wheel is in the locked position which is adding to the wearing.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 09:36 AM

I think I stated this a few times before in other ignition locked up threads. The graphite doesn't reach the area where it is binding. When you add graphite it just lubes the tumberlers thats it. The part that is binding can't be accsessed through the key hole you have to dissasemble the ignition to get to it. Once its apart add some general purpose grease to the back of the lock cylinder and a light film around it. I kept adding graphite to mine with no change in performance so did 6QTS11OZ. I had to take it apart to do further investingating to figure out what is going on with it. I figured out what was going on and lubed it up with some GP no problems for over two years. I also done the same thing to 6QTS11OZ car. The GP grease adds a cushon between the dis-simular metals and keeps it from galing and binding.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

well, i took it back to the dealer (2 days ago i think) they had to take it to a chevy/gm dealer. they said it should be done today. but theyre pissing me off because theyve put me on hold twice for over 10 min.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 12:33 PM

Well when my ignition got stuck a coulple times before, I was doing the graphite thing before I got fed up and took it to the dealer. They was going to order a whole new stering colum. Well it turned out that it was on a national back order. So they said "well we going to try to order you a new key and see what that does". I shuck my head on the phone like you idiots I have two keys that does the same thing. I just let them do what they had to do. When they got the new key in they said well it works it feels better you can come pick up your car! Well it started doing the same thing once again so I took it apart and do what I did above.

I known people to replace the whole igniton cylinder, some had dremeled the igniton cylinder to keep it from binding when it locked up on them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in