Stroker kit for 6.0? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 491
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Stroker kit for 6.0?

Anybody done this? Was that a dumb question? Does that net 403 cid?

If 'yes' to the first question, about what whp can be expected w/ these mods:

- Fairly hot streetable cam
- Catted LTs
- Cat-back
- Tune


Thanks
ModBoss2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 08:48 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 3,541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModBoss2
Anybody done this? Was that a dumb question? Does that net 403 cid?

If 'yes' to the first question, about what whp can be expected w/ these mods:

- Fairly hot streetable cam
- Catted LTs
- Cat-back
- Tune


Thanks
403 cid and upper 400 low 500 rwhp.
GTODEALER is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 491
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTODEALER
403 cid and upper 400 low 500 rwhp.


It's still in the kickin' around stages, but besides upgrading my clutch, will the stock trans, driveshaft and axles handle 500 rwhp w/o fears of breakages? I won't be drag racin' it

I forgot to mention my CAI as one of the mods, but that's not worth a whole lot...

If I do the work myself, I'll add LTs, heads, cam and tune to what I've already done, hoping for around 450/450+ rwhp, but if I let a performance pro do the work, I'll go stroked w/ just LTs, cam and tune...I'll just have to wait and see, and decide when I get a little closer to the actual time that I decide to do this.

Last edited by ModBoss2; 01-05-2006 at 11:06 AM.
ModBoss2 is offline  
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 12:15 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 3,541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModBoss2


It's still in the kickin' around stages, but besides upgrading my clutch, will the stock trans, driveshaft and axles handle 500 rwhp w/o fears of breakages? I won't be drag racin' it

I forgot to mention my CAI as one of the mods, but that's not worth a whole lot...

If I do the work myself, I'll add LTs, heads, cam and tune to what I've already done, hoping for around 450/450+ rwhp, but if I let a performance pro do the work, I'll go stroked w/ just LTs, cam and tune...I'll just have to wait and see, and decide when I get a little closer to the actual time that I decide to do this.
The stock drivetrain will NOT handle this much power! Trust me.
GTODEALER is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 491
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTODEALER
The stock drivetrain will NOT handle this much power! Trust me.
Will it even handle 450 rwhp? A better F/W and clutch isn't a problem, but I don't want to get into upgrading everything from the clutch back. If it won't, I'll stop my mods at LTs and a tune.
ModBoss2 is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 12:27 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 3,541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModBoss2
Will it even handle 450 rwhp? A better F/W and clutch isn't a problem, but I don't want to get into upgrading everything from the clutch back. If it won't, I'll stop my mods at LTs and a tune.
450 and less is about it, as long as you don't put drag radials on it or drag race (on a track) you should be okay.
GTODEALER is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 491
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTODEALER
450 and less is about it, as long as you don't put drag radials on it or drag race (on a track) you should be okay.
I won't be taking it to the track and DRs are out of the question...so I guess I'll be safe at the 450 rwhp limit.

One last question, then I'll stop bugging you for a while...without doing the heads, just going with a cam, LTs, cat-back, CAI and tune, how much shy of the 450 rwhp mark will I be? A lot?

I don't even know what a good cam for me would be. I want a pretty hot one that will pull strong in the 2,000 - 6,500 rpm range that's still streetable for a daily driver; don't want one that's happy only on a circle track and has the low-end grunt of a Kia.

I figure you've done enough testing and know what'll work. Maybe around tax return time I'll be able to start getting serious about finishing up on my mods. I hope so!

Thanks,
ModBoss2 is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 04:48 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 3,541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModBoss2
I won't be taking it to the track and DRs are out of the question...so I guess I'll be safe at the 450 rwhp limit.

One last question, then I'll stop bugging you for a while...without doing the heads, just going with a cam, LTs, cat-back, CAI and tune, how much shy of the 450 rwhp mark will I be? A lot?

I don't even know what a good cam for me would be. I want a pretty hot one that will pull strong in the 2,000 - 6,500 rpm range that's still streetable for a daily driver; don't want one that's happy only on a circle track and has the low-end grunt of a Kia.

I figure you've done enough testing and know what'll work. Maybe around tax return time I'll be able to start getting serious about finishing up on my mods. I hope so!

Thanks,
If I were you I would get with EDC, he's a member of this board and he's a cam guru that will be able to answer that better than me. The old cam that was in the Fatbitch is now in a "cam only" 05 and it made 431 rwhp and 390 rwtq. (he has a K&N cai, SLP longtubes w/high flow cats, Magnaflow mufflers (stock catback w/x-pipe), SLP underdrive, and a custom tune)
GTODEALER is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 07:06 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There's a shop in Fort Wayne Indiana I believe that blows goats and claims the drivetrain is good for up to 700 hp safely. Is this just BS then?
MeanGoat is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 08:46 PM
 
LYNMUP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Ft Walton Beach, FL
Posts: 689
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanGoat
There's a shop in Fort Wayne Indiana I believe that blows goats...
Now that just sounds funny.

'05 QSM M6
LYNMUP is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome