Strut Tower Brace - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-31-2005, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Strut Tower Brace

I didn't want to hijack the other thread, so I started this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMVorbeck
Yes, I'm curious too. What the difference between one or another besides an improvement in the structural rigidity?
Is the strut brace there to add rigidity to the frame, or keep the towers from spreading as it's name would imply.

If it is indeed a structual part of the chassis, I would like to see it extend to either the firewall or radiator support, or both.

Unless I see some evidence that the factory piece is stressed, I wouldn't replace it.

With that said, at what point does the car need sub frame connectors? Drag racing I think would be a given, but what about spirited street driving? By that I mean, you don't slow down for the turns or you take the turns as hard as you can, when possible and within the means. I don't mean driving over your head or doing stupid sh*t.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-31-2005, 01:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to ftlfirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to ftlfirefighter
Hey bro, the strut tower brace does just that. It eliminates the flexing of the sheet metal where the top of the struts mount during hard cornering. If the metal flexes it changes the gemoetry of the suspension.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-31-2005, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftlfirefighter
Hey bro, the strut tower brace does just that. It eliminates the flexing of the sheet metal where the top of the struts mount during hard cornering. If the metal flexes it changes the gemoetry of the suspension.
Thats what I thought. Why would it need to be replaced with an aftermarket one?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-31-2005, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftlfirefighter
You can accomplish that with just a thicker plate. The brace is there to keep the strut towers from spreading or bowing. Any movement here and stress would develope in the bar.

And if that were the case, would not some triangulation be better? Shelby did this back in the mid 60's with the " Monte Carlo Bar " on the mustangs. So this isn't new stuff. My question is, what is the measured improvement, not butt dyno, of going to the thicker brace.

The trend towards these a/m type deals started with the import crowd. But those cars didn't come with them originally anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in