Superchargers - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Superchargers

I see a lot of threads on magnachargers and prochargers. Where is the talk about other superchargers like Vortech?

I am trying to soak up all the information I can on forced induction and performance enhancements in general.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 08:34 AM

Vortech really isn't a favored brand, too cluttered and not enough power for the money! Procharger makes 455 rwhp on a stock car, the Maggie makes around 405 rwhp on a stock car.....as does the Vortech.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 10:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to ftlfirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to ftlfirefighter
Steve, of course a centrifigual blower is going to make more hp than a roots type. The biggest difference is where the power is made, if you compare the charts you'd see the roots makes WAY more power down low, boost is right off idle where you need it. Sure for top end go with the prochager but for 0-60 and 1/4mile where the engine isn't at it's peak RPM the roots has it beat.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 10:53 AM

Send a message via AIM to ftlfirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to ftlfirefighter
ps, when was the last time you saw a dragster running anything else? Yea, smart ass Marine, go ahead and say it. LOL
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 12:56 PM

LOL it's funny to see people arguing about this, I've had both.. one made 372 to the tires on the first pull and by the third it made 298 (less than stock) and in everyday driving after it warmed up it felt like a car with headers.

The other made 445 on a 90 degree day, hot motor and a mustang dyno and by the third sucessive pull it was only down to 432 and on the street it's a rocket.

Unless you have owned BOTH on THIS PARTICULAR car I dont think anyone should be making assumptions here, while one companies kit works wonders on Vettes and Trucks, on this car it's not all that..

Last edited by GTPprix; 06-16-2005 at 01:21 PM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftlfirefighter
Steve, of course a centrifigual blower is going to make more hp than a roots type. The biggest difference is where the power is made, if you compare the charts you'd see the roots makes WAY more power down low, boost is right off idle where you need it. Sure for top end go with the prochager but for 0-60 and 1/4mile where the engine isn't at it's peak RPM the roots has it beat.
Not knocking the roots, merely stating PEAK h.p. numbers...smart ass Marine...
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 02:53 PM

I had a high helix roots type on a injected V6, lots of low to mid range grunt. It developed about 5 PSI of boost at max RPM.

Ran a Weiand 6-71 on a carbed small block. High boost with O-ring heads. The chassis was a shortbox truck. Heat soak was a problem on both, the second worse than the first. In order to keep the performance from really dropping off in between races I had to use bags of ice to keep the blower housing cool. High rpm and heat go hand in hand with roots type blowers.

I have not had this problem with my procharger. The horsepower stays fairly consistent. Heat comes from three sources on a roots type blower like a maggie.

1.Motor heat conducting from the bolted interface with the motor.
2.Heat generated from air molecules being sheared during operation,
(adiabatic heating).
3.Friction in the system, mostly due to what type of blade the blower vein has.

I believe the procharger systems get alot less of 1 and 3. Plus you get the added bonus of alot less mass, which provides quicker cooldowns. I.E. your power adder is not tied to a giant heater, the engine.

Here again, I am just throwing out my past experiance with both, and opinion.
The above does not make my car better or worse than anybody elses, just different.

I am not taking sides here, but trying to foster a technical chat.

Last edited by RamAir69; 06-16-2005 at 06:23 PM.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTPprix
LOL it's funny to see people arguing about this, I've had both.. one made 372 to the tires on the first pull and by the third it made 298 (less than stock) and in everyday driving after it warmed up it felt like a car with headers.

The other made 445 on a 90 degree day, hot motor and a mustang dyno and by the third sucessive pull it was only down to 432 and on the street it's a rocket.

Unless you have owned BOTH on THIS PARTICULAR car I dont think anyone should be making assumptions here, while one companies kit works wonders on Vettes and Trucks, on this car it's not all that..
Which is which?!!!!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 08:36 PM

The first one is a roots style, the second is a ProCharger, which I still have, and love.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 09:54 AM

I agree with GTPrix, I have customers with both roots style and Prochargers, my Procharger customers seem to be much happier with less problems.... BTW, if anyone is interested, I sell the Prochargers for 4999.00 shipped......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in