switching to synthetic oil - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
switching to synthetic oil

Quick question... I'd like to switch to synthetic oil in my 2001 Chevy Z-71 at my next oil change. Any special steps I need to take when switching? Do I need to purge out the old oil, or is it a standard oil change and just add the synthetic? I run 100% synthetic in my Harley, but I've always had it serviced at the dealer, so I don't know what they did when they switched. Also. the 2006 GTO's come with synthetic (mobile 1) correct? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 11:07 AM

Yes, our GTOs come with synthetic. I don't think that there are any special steps to switch to synthetic oil though. I figure that all you would really have to do is make sure that the old oil is drained out as much as possible. That's all I did when I switched in my other car. Nothing bad has happened since, so I figure that it'll be fine to just do it that way. Hope I helped.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 11:55 AM

I would get an extra quart of synthetic and once the old oil is done draining use the extra quart of synthetic to help push the rest of the old oil out.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkynmbr3
Yes, our GTOs come with synthetic. I don't think that there are any special steps to switch to synthetic oil though. I figure that all you would really have to do is make sure that the old oil is drained out as much as possible. That's all I did when I switched in my other car. Nothing bad has happened since, so I figure that it'll be fine to just do it that way. Hope I helped.
Thanks, it did help.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal gto
I would get an extra quart of synthetic and once the old oil is done draining use the extra quart of synthetic to help push the rest of the old oil out.
Good idea. Are you talking about just pouring the extra quart thru the motor and into the drain pan?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 05:11 PM

Hummm, 2001 Chevy. How many miles? Synthetic cleans an engine differently from Dino. If your car has over 30,000 miles on it, you might consider a blend rather than a straight synthetic. Otherwise, that CHevy might start using oil like it never did.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegbelly
Good idea. Are you talking about just pouring the extra quart thru the motor and into the drain pan?
thats what he was taking about, best if you do it when it's hot. that go's for all the time.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 05:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UdnUdnGTO
Hummm, 2001 Chevy. How many miles? Synthetic cleans an engine differently from Dino. If your car has over 30,000 miles on it, you might consider a blend rather than a straight synthetic. Otherwise, that CHevy might start using oil like it never did.
It's got a little over 67K on it. If it starts using oil, I could switch back to dino, right?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 11:48 AM

Quote:
It's got a little over 67K on it. If it starts using oil, I could switch back to dino, right?
I have also heard of seals leaking with synthetic after using dino oil for awhile.

I think it's easier to switch in the other direction; synthetic:dino, although I don't know why anyone would want to.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 12:51 PM

Quote:

Ah, no it does not work that way. As a part of combustion, byproducts collect and seal many parts of the combustion chamber. Synthetic has stronger cleaners and will remove those deposits. This COULD cause your vehicle to use oil. Then again, it may not. There is no way of telling before. How has your fortune been lately?? To get some of the benefits of synthetic, I would recommend a blend rather than 100% synthetic. Best to ya, it is a gamble with cars over 30,000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in