T/C question? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
T/C question?

When my T/C is on which is most of the time I have found when I try to accelerate, like when pulling out in heavy traffic I have almost been T boned because my pedal suddenly lifts or get hard to push and the engine about dies.

Needless to say I know I have the power to pull out, but T/C is going to get me killed.

Anyone else have this problem or is this a defect in my car?

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 06:38 PM
ramairws6

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
normal

the tc eliminates wheel spin, kills timing,and drops pedal, the gas pedal is only a switch (no mechanical connection to throttle) a servo is connected to throttle body i suggest just keep the pedal pushed down if your turning
and stabbing the gas it gets worse, dont slam it to the floor you know the car will haze the tires, or turn trac off and youll squeal the tires bad! i just stab and go, but its still a heavy car and wont launch instantaniously, give
yourself some room to zoom!!!!! my 02 ta did the same thing except it had
stronger tires 275 compared to our weak narrow 245's. get use to it!!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 12:45 PM

Part of my routine when I start my car is to switch the T/C off; I only leave it on when it's raining (when it's very handy to have!). Any reason why you leave your T/C on most of the time? Just curious.....

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 01:27 PM

The reason is so you don't have to remember to turn it on everytime you start your car and it gets you killed, like in detroit where the weather SUCKS!!!!!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 05:39 PM
ramairws6

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
tc

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTeeOh
Part of my routine when I start my car is to switch the T/C off; I only leave it on when it's raining (when it's very handy to have!). Any reason why you leave your T/C on most of the time? Just curious.....
i leave mine on in florida good hot pavement 95% of the time. i feel the need to conserve the tires but then it will only wear the rt rear,believe me my foot is either on or off the gas, i have 10,500 miles the left rear is like new, the fronts are like new,the rt rear is almost to the wear bars, i look at it this way
i haul ace every place i go and only have to buy one tire at 10.500 miles thats
cheaper than 2 tires plus i dont like squealing tires toooo many cops! try it
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 11:54 PM

I've been wondering about this too. It's only when turning and accelerating at the same time, like pulling onto a main road, into traffic. It's as if the gas pedal kicks back at you. Why does it do that? I understand killing the spark, or applying the brakes, but what's up with the pedal pushing back?
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramairws6
i leave mine on in florida good hot pavement 95% of the time. i feel the need to conserve the tires but then it will only wear the rt rear,believe me my foot is either on or off the gas, i have 10,500 miles the left rear is like new, the fronts are like new,the rt rear is almost to the wear bars, i look at it this way
i haul ace every place i go and only have to buy one tire at 10.500 miles thats
cheaper than 2 tires plus i dont like squealing tires toooo many cops! try it
sound like too many peg-leg burns... careful, burning one tire is bad for the diff.

you may want to take the car to the dealer to have them check your rear end out.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

Corvette buddy told me the Corvette has traction control and does not act like that. He thinks it may even be a defect.

I don't agree with the keep your foot out of it, because thats not what going on. In any car you will accerate to pull out into traffic and the car doesn't die, why should the GTO's T/C do it? My opinion is it is dangerous!

I don't drive my car like I'm at the NHRA Nationals or the Indy 500!

Mike
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 06:52 AM

I have gotten quite used to the traction control actually. I didn't like it at first, the way the gas pedal "fights back"... but I have about 1,200 miles on it now, and I have come to understand it isn't fighting back.. it is simply talking to me.

It says "Hey, in this situation you should be giving me *this much* gas for optimum traction..." So I listen, .. I remember.. and threw a mutual understanding we create a harmonious coexistance full of acceleration and lateral G-force.

Have patience grasshopper...
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 09:37 AM

Just say no to traction control. Mine only goes on in the rain.

Hey ramair, did you ever hear of tire rotation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in