TBB Finally Done! - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2005, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
TBB Finally Done!

The Round Tuit on doing the Throttle Body Bypass finally perculated to the top this afternoon. After getting under the hood to clean the engine from the beach sand that infiltrated a couple of weeks ago, I decided to go ahead and do the mod. Pretty easy, once I committed to taking off the power steering bracket so I could get at the hose fitting on the engine side. I took the hose running from the TB to the radiator, trimmed off about 1" and plugged it into the engine side. I'll go back and put vacumn caps on both sides of the TB later when it has had a chance to totally drain out and dry. The engine also got cleaned up and shiny.

I must seriously consider getting 275 rear tires now to accomodate the 100 rwhp I am expecting from this mod!

2004 Pulse Red GTO M6 - New Era CAI, TB Bypass, CAGS, Custom Split Exhaust, SLP Sway Bar & Bushings, BMR Strut Brace, HID, Sans Spoiler, Sirius

2002 Quicksilver Z06 - A Few Upgrades

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2005, 07:05 PM

I am unaware of this mod... Can you tell me more about this?? Are there any parts to add??
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2005, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

It involves making a bypass for heated coolant (hows that for an oxymoron) around the throttle body. GM designed the throttle body to get the heated coolant so that the throttle body wouldn't ice up in sub zero weather. Heating the TB results in a hotter intake air temperature which results in slightly less horse power.
I wish this mod gave 100 rwhp: it actually only gives 3 or so. But, its free horsepower; 3 more than you had, anyway. The vast majority of places in the US don't have to worry about such low temps and even in those places the risk of TB icing is slight.

The mod is pretty easy. There are two rubber hoses coming out of the bottom sides of the TB: the one on the drivers side goes to a metal pipe coming of the engine heads, the one on the passenger side of the TB goes to the radiator. Essentially, you take the rubber hose from the passenger side of the TB and put it on the metal pipe coming from the engine (you also have to remove the short hose from the metal pipe to the drivers side of the TB). This takes the TB out of the coolant loop. As stated in the first post, you have to trim the radiator side hose a little because its too long when run to metal pipe. After a while (few days) the coolant path in the TB will have dried out and then you can put vacumn caps on the TB where the hoses had attached, to keep dirt out.

2004 Pulse Red GTO M6 - New Era CAI, TB Bypass, CAGS, Custom Split Exhaust, SLP Sway Bar & Bushings, BMR Strut Brace, HID, Sans Spoiler, Sirius

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2005, 09:43 PM

Thanks for the info -- I did some research too on this subject and found that the TB icing can occur at -30 to -60. Hmm, I don't think it will get that cold where I live.

I looked on my car and I think that the TB Anti-Freeze/Coolant is only on the LS1 as I cannot find it on my LS2.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2005, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure that it is on the LS-2. I seem to remember an '05 owner confirming it. My Z06 with the Throttle by wire throttle body (same as LS-2) has it.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-07-2005, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverdan
I'm pretty sure that it is on the LS-2. I seem to remember an '05 owner confirming it. My Z06 with the Throttle by wire throttle body (same as LS-2) has it.
I can't find any coolant lines into or out of my throttle body.

I thought you meant the clean and shiny engine got you 100 rwhp, which is believable. The throttle body bypass and a 100rwhp definately isn't. LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in