Thinking About Doing It!!! Opinions... - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thinking About Doing It!!! Opinions...

I originally posted this link in the "Garage", but now I am posting it here so I can get some thoughts/opinions. Can the GTO maintain speeds in excess of 100 mph for sustained periods (hour or more)? Would any major mods be neccessary? There are several Divisions and Classes. If I do it, I'm going to do the Street Stock Class, which has a top, or tech speed, of 110 mph. I'm doing the lowest Division to see if it's something I really want to pursue further. Would altitude (5k above sea level) be a major factor? I know in the "old" days of carbeuration, altitude was a major issue. Thanks in advance for the help. The link to their website has alot of good info/pics/etc.

http://www.openroadracing.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 10:14 AM

Now that looks like fun!

No sweat. My commute has a stretch of a good 45 minutes where I sometimes stay at 90 mph or so, climbing from near seal level to ~4500'. With EFI air-fuel mixture problems due to altitude changes are a thing of the past. I was running with a BMW 545i the other morning for a solid 15 minutes at ~110-120mph, and in 5th gear the LS1 was only turning 3800rpm. That leaves gobs of headroom for higher speeds, obviously!

IMHO, the GTO is great candidate to race in this series!

Last edited by Groucho; 04-07-2005 at 10:16 AM.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

IMHO, the GTO is great candidate to race in this series![/QUOTE]

Thanks Groucho. I may not be able to make it for the series this Summer, but when I trade up to an 06' a year from now, I'm definitely going to make a point of getting out there. It costs some $$$ to get started...safety equipment, helmets, etc. I'm going to take a buddy from NC as a navigator/co-driver (share the fun). I didn't think the GTO would have any problems, I guess I needed someone else's opinion to give me a warm fuzzy. It's actually closer to your neck of the woods. Check it out for me this Summer and give me some feedback.... Hell, there are people running Saturns and VW Touregs. Thanks again, Brian

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 11:31 AM

Hmmm.

This looks like just the kind of thing I would want to do to get a chance to really DRIVE my goat.
I would think that you shouldn't have a problem running your car in the classes that you would be eligible for w/out buying lots of safety equipment and/or modifying your car to meet the safety requirements.
I see in the rules that you also have to have some form of liscencing or experience to run in the upper classes too. I suppose that makes sense, but I don't care much for that idea.
I think the overspeed feature of our DICs would come in very handy here, - Just set it a few mph under your tech speed to stay out of trouble.
My car is a daily driver, and I'm not real keen on putting in a roll cage, etc., even though I think it could keep up in the Grand touring classes.
In summary, my impressions and opinions are as follows. The lower classes look like they could be alot of fun w/out having to mod. your car to meet safety standards. It seems to me that it would take alot of work and money to get up to standard to run in the higher classes.

Thanks for sharing.

Maximental
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximental
I would think that you shouldn't have a problem running your car in the classes that you would be eligible for w/out buying lots of safety equipment and/or modifying your car to meet the safety requirements.
I see in the rules that you also have to have some form of liscencing or experience to run in the upper classes too. I suppose that makes sense, but I don't care much for that idea.
I think the overspeed feature of our DICs would come in very handy here, - Just set it a few mph under your tech speed to stay out of trouble.
My car is a daily driver, and I'm not real keen on putting in a roll cage, etc., even though I think it could keep up in the Grand touring classes.
In summary, my impressions and opinions are as follows. The lower classes look like they could be alot of fun w/out having to mod. your car to meet safety standards. It seems to me that it would take alot of work and money to get up to standard to run in the higher classes.

Thanks for sharing.

Maximental
Maximental,
Thanks for your input. I've done quite a bit of research about the safety items and there is alot of stuff out there that is bolt on that could be removed if needed. Mine is a daily driver as well and I wouldn't want to go beyond the Grand Touring Class either. Maintaining 140 mph for an hour per leg would be a blast. From what I've seen, some of these guys are REALLY into it.
Thanks again, Brian
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 02:55 PM

Hi All,

I LIKE IT! This is a type of competition the new GTO's can do and have a lot of fun while doing it! I'd consider doing it too, maybe we could form one of the "teams" made up form GTO forum members. I don't know where you guys are located but I'm in SoCal.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 03:24 PM

where are these races held, im all for it...i live in Nor-Cal
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 04:38 PM

Damn, I'm in NY, and would actually consider going on vacation from work to do one of these. I'd love this, without reading up too much on this, what is the speed bracket you can do without putting in major safety equipment?

*for now I will ponder the expenses of going from eastern Long Island, NY to NV.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 10:57 PM

I'd just double check with your tire manufacturer to make sure they can stand up to this type of use. A few years ago I knew of a guy in a Ferrari who offed himself in a similar event after his tires crapped out on him at 175. The accident scene looked like a small plane crash.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 11:02 PM

I spent a healthy portion of the morning drooling over this as well. The fam and I are considering going to Vegas for vacation next year so I might just have to coincide with one of the races. My wife will navigate *crosses fingers* (she's always telling where to go anyway). She'll hopefully think its cool cause she hates flying. I wish every state with nice long straight roads did something like this.

At Christmas I was able to open the Goat up a little on a country road at home in Missouri. One of the old well paved, high banked and curvy roads with nothing but farmland on both sides and a few farm houses. 13 miles long with about 30-40 turns. Half of the turns are 45 mph turns, and a large portion of what is left is 25-35mph turns. I didn't drop below 55 the whole time and on the straight aways opened up to 100 - wanted to faster but wife wouldn't let me My average speed for the whole run was like 78 or so. I remembered to reset clock half mile in. Whew! When I started pulling onto the overpass to get on the interstate, the SEG I was wearing lasted the 3 hours home. It was amazing how well the GTO handles in those situations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in