Time for new brake pads - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Time for new brake pads

I definitely know i need brake pads. I just wanted to know how i can find out if i need new rotors or brake lines without taking it to a shop? I dont know very much about rotors or brake lines.

2004 Pontiac GTO
36,000 miles

Brake pads look low. The Front rotors feel smooth. Both rear rotors are not smooth towards the outer edge.

http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/7973/gtoforum.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 01:25 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Unless your car or steering wheel is shaking when braking, I would expect the rotors to be fine with that low of miles.
Bad hoses will make the calipers seem to be sticking and that will cause the rotors to overheat or smoke even. If your not experiencing any of those and the hoses don't have any visible cracks on the outside I would expect them to be okay.
On the rear rotors, it's not uncommen to have a ridge around the far outside of the rotor as the pads don't always contact the entire rotor so it will only be smooth were the pads are contacting.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukee View Post
Unless your car or steering wheel is shaking when braking, I would expect the rotors to be fine with that low of miles.
Bad hoses will make the calipers seem to be sticking and that will cause the rotors to overheat or smoke even. If your not experiencing any of those and the hoses don't have any visible cracks on the outside I would expect them to be okay.
On the rear rotors, it's not uncommen to have a ridge around the far outside of the rotor as the pads don't always contact the entire rotor so it will only be smooth were the pads are contacting.
My mistake on the rotors. The ridge is on the inner part of the rear rotors. I have not notice any shaking when braking.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 03:18 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
With new brakes I'd like to have a like-new surface to bed against. On my DD car I might throw a cheap pad on and go but I'd rather do it right on a 400+ HP car. You can have your rotors turned to a flat surface cheaply. You have to take the calipers off anyways and the rotors then just pull straight off the studs. Just make sure your rear parking brake isn't set or it will prevent that.

They are not the absolute best stopping but my Hawk ceramics have excellent stopping power, low noise and low dust. "Regular" brake pads can turn your wheels black daily. C5 pads fit perfectly on the LS2 front brakes if you've upgraded to those otherwise you can get ceramic pads for the '04 too.

If you DIY, and there's not reason not to, Harbor Freight has an inexpensive disc brake kit to easily press the calipers back in. You have to do both at once or at least hold the other to prevent one piston from overextending while pressing the other one in. You can also use the old pad to bridge across both at the same time.

2004 Blk/Rd M6
6.3 litre LS1

Built and tuned by svede
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by svede1212 View Post
with new brakes i'd like to have a like-new surface to bed against. On my dd car i might throw a cheap pad on and go but i'd rather do it right on a 400+ hp car. You can have your rotors turned to a flat surface cheaply. You have to take the calipers off anyways and the rotors then just pull straight off the studs. Just make sure your rear parking brake isn't set or it will prevent that.

They are not the absolute best stopping but my hawk ceramics have excellent stopping power, low noise and low dust. "regular" brake pads can turn your wheels black daily. C5 pads fit perfectly on the ls2 front brakes if you've upgraded to those otherwise you can get ceramic pads for the '04 too.

If you diy, and there's not reason not to, harbor freight has an inexpensive disc brake kit to easily press the calipers back in. You have to do both at once or at least hold the other to prevent one piston from overextending while pressing the other one in. You can also use the old pad to bridge across both at the same time.
Thanks for your help. Im thinking of going with ebc red stuff. Ill look into that.

The first two pics are from the front wheel and the last three are from the rear wheel.

The front brake pads are low but its not an emergency. Ill probably replace them at the end of this year.

The rear brake pads arent bad. they have some life in em still. i noticed that one brake pad has alot more than the other. Anyone know y? Fourth pic from the left you can see the ridges on talking about on the rotor. Also how do you take out that rust?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	15594   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	774
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	15595   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	15596   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	15597   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	726
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	15598  

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 09:02 AM

Buy this kit and be done with it: PONTIAC GTO 04 2004 PERFORMANCE BRAKE ROTORS AND CERAMIC PADS FRONT and REAR LS1 | eBay

No brake dust and OEM stopping quality. That seller is a vender on the Vette forums and they are awesome kits for the price. Had these on my 04 GTO, 05 Mustang GT, wife's HRR SS, and my C5 Z06. No issues on any of the cars.

2003 Corvette Z06 - MGW shifter, Corsa X pipe, Corsa Xtreme exhaust, Texas Speed long tubes w/o cats, PowerStop rotors/pads, Conti DWS tires, C6Z51 F&R sways, C5R headlights, tuned

04 GTO - sold
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar View Post
Buy this kit and be done with it: PONTIAC GTO 04 2004 PERFORMANCE BRAKE ROTORS AND CERAMIC PADS FRONT and REAR LS1 | eBay

No brake dust and OEM stopping quality. That seller is a vender on the Vette forums and they are awesome kits for the price. Had these on my 04 GTO, 05 Mustang GT, wife's HRR SS, and my C5 Z06. No issues on any of the cars.
You have my attention. The price is what gots me worried. It really cheap but ive read somewhere that blank rotors are better than slotted. You said you had these on your cars. Did you take them off? Is there a link you can send me of the forums this seller is in? Thanks.

Last edited by iwant2buyaGTO; 09-09-2012 at 10:27 AM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Does anyone know where i can get some calipers for my GTO? I was thinking of changing my calipers rotors and brake pads. If anyone knows of a deal out there please let me know. im a DD

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwant2buyaGTO View Post
Does anyone know where i can get some calipers for my GTO? I was thinking of changing my calipers rotors and brake pads. If anyone knows of a deal out there please let me know. im a DD
Why are you looking to change your calipers?

2003 Corvette Z06 - MGW shifter, Corsa X pipe, Corsa Xtreme exhaust, Texas Speed long tubes w/o cats, PowerStop rotors/pads, Conti DWS tires, C6Z51 F&R sways, C5R headlights, tuned

04 GTO - sold
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar View Post
Why are you looking to change your calipers?
Theres nothing wrong with them. Just an idea .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in