tints - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
tints

What the h3ll is this in the owners manual about not tinting the rear window of an 05 cuz it will booger up the radio antenna? Is that for real?
If it is I guess I won't be listening to the radio.
Terry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 07:58 AM

My Tint installer asked to see my owner's manual : once he read the disclaimer on the read window - my only choice was to purchase NON-METALLIC tint ( which is always more expensive). I have Non-Metallic tint on the back window and have no radio antenna problems . I even run the XM radio antenna thru this tint and get 3 bars... Hope that helps.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 08:05 AM

Send a message via AIM to ftlfirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to ftlfirefighter
My "tinter" only ran it up to the base of the blacked out portion of the rear window. He said tint wont stick to it anyways.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 09:11 AM

I don't know if my tint is non metallic or not but my whole window is tinted and I haven't lost any radio reception.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey-Goat
I don't know if my tint is non metallic or not but my whole window is tinted and I haven't lost any radio reception.
Same here.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMVorbeck
Same here.
Same, for me and GTODEALER2 and 04gtolover
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 01:30 PM

I have my back glass fully tinted top to bottom with metallic film (the installer that has been around for years, very reputable said they couldn't warranty like they do for the non metallic ie dyed tint). I kind of went along with the belief of some on here that.. the antenna is in the glass, the signal for the most part is coming in from outside the car not inside so I wasn't too concerned about losing reception.. and I haven't. I put in Sirius and really don't seem to have any trouble with the antenna receiving the fm signal from there except that the radio (even before the tint) seems to pickup stations from way beyond what I always thought was fm range so sometimes I have to change the frequency on the sirius if a far away station comes in a little too strong. That's my 2 cents. And for what's it's worth... I understand there are no inputs to the Blapunkt unit.. is this true based upon a) some literature, b) someone actually pulled the unit and looked
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 03:01 PM

my tint

I used 3M Carbon Fiber based tint ,I've had no problems what so ever.

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 07:10 PM

3m tint and I get stations from Tampa (90 miles away) and Jacksonville (110 miles away) with little distortion. I was told the dyed tints fade to a purple and you can't use windex on them. That was definately deal killers for me.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 12:38 PM

I just got an XM Roady Xt receiver. Can anyone offer up any suggestions for the best place to mount the antenna? One of the posts here implied they have the XM antenna through the rear window tint, does that mean they have this mounted inside the car on the rear shelf? I understand you have to mount the antenna on a metal surface. If anyone can suggest the best place to mount and more importantly, details on running the wiring with minimal "pain", it would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in