Tires Hard or Road Build-up? (TX-OK area) - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tires Hard or Road Build-up? (TX-OK area)

My question is, has anyone in this area been having a problem with traction?

I'm in Fort Worth and many of you may know the Texas-OK area has had its driest period ever on record. It has maybe rained once since last summer. I've been having a terrible time keeping the back end on the road. With 15K miles on the OEM tires with plenty of tread left, the rear is breaking loose even when I don't expect it, e.g., 3rd gear at 30 mph with less than 1/2 throttle. I've figured that the tires just got hard from the summer heat. (This happened to a set of Bridgestones on my Z28). While having dinner with the guys tonight, I told one of them that I had had it with the tires breaking loose all the time and was going to buy new ones this weekend. He has an M3 and tracks it and said he had been having the same problem the last couple of months. We developed a theory that since we basically haven't had any rain to wash the roads off, they have a lot of build-up and grime so that even clear pavement doesn't provide the friction it should. I'm considering waiting until we get a good rain to wash the roads and see if the situation changes.

Have any of you been having a similar traction problem? Is blaming the road right now more viable than the tires?

05 Brakes w/ C5Pads, K&N CAI, TBCoolantByPass, -CAGS, , +Outlets, DeadPedal, UnSpoiled, GasCapHook, PedalsRightSideUp, HitchToGo,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 04:29 AM

Sounds off to me. Normal road traffic will wear off any built up material on the road surface. You may just be putting too much power on the ground. It is more plausable that your traction issues are from cold temperature. Cold tires, cold pavement - everything is harder. I don't know about the hard tires either. Losing traction actualy improves grip. It makes the tires more plyable as they heat up due to friction against the road surface - removes any foreign material adhering to the tire as well.
Try warming the tires up before you run. A quick burn-out or two should help.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 05:38 AM

I live in the area and I haven't really noticed any problems with keeping traction while I'm on the gas. Then again, I'm running BFG KDW tires instead of the rock hard KDWs that comes from the factory.

04 QuickSilver - !CAGS, Lingenfelter CAI, 05 Bumper with Stainless Works 04->05 cat back, Power Slot Rotors & Hawk pads.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 06:48 AM

I haven't had this issue either, here in San Antonio. I've got 'bout 8300 miles on the OEM 18" rolling stock.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

Maybe build-up is the wrong word. From my years driving a motorcycle, I always got off the road for 30 minutes when it started to rain for the first time after a dry spell. It gave mother nature time to wash away the film of grime, grease, and dust.

derf, its good to know you are not having problems. I feel like I'm on ice skates.

Chief D - its has not been cold up here. I think we have had more than 10 days of temps over 80 degrees since Christmas. I've been trying burnouts with no signs of traction benefits following the exercise. Plus I'm stock.

Prior to the last two weeks, I have been able to predict when it was going to occur. lately, the backend has been kicking out when I haven't expected it (no tire squeal at all). I'm kidding myself if I think I can control this. One of these days, who knows when, I'm going to have to execute an evasive maneuver and I won't have control. $800 for tires is not in the budget right now but nor is fixing or replacing a crunched GTO.

05 Brakes w/ C5Pads, K&N CAI, TBCoolantByPass, -CAGS, , +Outlets, DeadPedal, UnSpoiled, GasCapHook, PedalsRightSideUp, HitchToGo,
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 12:44 PM

The stock tires on these cars are horrible!!!! I know what you mean about the dry weather.... they say it's supposed to rain Saturday night and Sunday which will be the first substantial rain since the Summer. I'd say replace the stock tires and you shouldn't have any issues, before I sold my car I put EVERYTHING back to stock, which included tires, and I was quickly reminded about how crappy they are. Just a side note, last night I was toying around with Radio and found out I can destroy the tires all the way through third gear, leaving two nice, dark, and straight black marks for a long long way!! DFWGTO was next to me on the freeway when I rolled into her in second and left about 100+ foot of rubber on the ground.....
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 12:57 PM

I think there's something to the theory of build up on the roads. Many years ago, I spun a car on freeway cloverleaf entrance ramp. It happened first thing on a Saturday morning. No tire squeal, no nothing -- just went around like on ice. Turns out that ramp had cars idling on it all day Friday -- well into the night -- because of traffic backups on the freeway. Long story short -- there was all kinds of residue from vehicle exhaust which made things slick.

Think about the areas where you're losing traction -- is it first thing in the morning where there are really, really busy roads -- then maybe you're running into the same experience I had on broader scale.

A few other things to look at: 1. Yes, the stock tires are indeed awful. 2. Were you carrying a light fuel load at the time? 3. Also, there are just times when torque, fuel load, position of the car, surface condition of the road all come together and bite ya on the bum for seemingly no reason. My brother had a brand new 1978 Trans Am. Had a state of the art suspension system put on it -- along with Goodyear NCTs -- some of the best tires in the world at the time. Thing was, though, that stupid car, for some reason, was flat out dangerous in certain conditions -- right hand turn at 20-25 miles an hour -- that car would shoot the rear end out 45 degrees with no warning under VERY slight acceleration. In fact, that car behaved exactly like how your car is behaving now.

Guess we'll test the road build up theory after it rains....
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 03:21 PM

I have been feeling that way myself. I am in Fort Worth too. Happens every day leaving work, make right hand turn, merge with traffic, and rear end is loose. Seems like it has gotten worse. I could always swing the rear loose by getting on it hard. Now it seems to do it even when I try to avoid it.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 05:24 PM

As GTODEALER properly put it, the stock tires on the GTO suck. Shame on GM for putting BFGoodrich T/A's on the car with a 400 treadwear. The tires get out of shape sitting overnight. The first few miles of my drive every morning is more like a diesel with knobbie's rather than a high performance machine. The tires, even when warmed up simply will not stick to the road. I suggest burning off some rubber, then use that excuse to get a set of real tires.

Memorize this line...
"Honest Officer, I was only trying to replace my tires"

Last edited by Russ2005; 01-20-2006 at 05:24 PM. Reason: typo
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 12:55 AM

I have the 18 inch factory package on my goat and I have the same problems. It's fairly unpredictable when the tailend is going take on a plan of it's own. I do know that old concrete and asphalt road surfaces are extremely slick even when dry. Traction control left on may be a drag, but it will save you from the bodyshop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in