tires oh tires - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
tires oh tires

I HAVE A 2004 TORRID RED AUTOMATIC GTO. I CHANGED MY ORIGINAL SET OF TIRES AT 14,000 MILES. I HAVE 24,000 ON THE CAR AND WERE ALMOST READY FOR THE SECOND SET! THE FRONT TIRES ARE WEARING ON THE OUTSIDE AND THE REAR TIRES ARE WEARING IN THE CENTER. TIRE PRESSURE IS ALWAYS CHECKED. I DRIVE 3 MILES A DAY TO WORK AND BACK AND FORTH TO THE STORE EVERY NOW AND THEN. I HAVENT SPUN THE TIRES.(ALTHOUGH I WOULD LIKE TOO!) TCS IS ALWAYS ON! I HAVE HAD AN ALIGNMENT 2 TIMES AND I DONT HAVE THE STRUT RUB PROBLEM. THIS IS REALLY GETTING EXPENSIVE! ANY SUGGESTIONS?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 05:14 PM

Does sound excessive with the way you drive. I drive a little harder. I've only put 1000 on mine but I'll keep a look out for wear.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatrider View Post
I HAVE A 2004 TORRID RED AUTOMATIC GTO. I CHANGED MY ORIGINAL SET OF TIRES AT 14,000 MILES. I HAVE 24,000 ON THE CAR AND WERE ALMOST READY FOR THE SECOND SET! THE FRONT TIRES ARE WEARING ON THE OUTSIDE AND THE REAR TIRES ARE WEARING IN THE CENTER. TIRE PRESSURE IS ALWAYS CHECKED. I DRIVE 3 MILES A DAY TO WORK AND BACK AND FORTH TO THE STORE EVERY NOW AND THEN. I HAVENT SPUN THE TIRES.(ALTHOUGH I WOULD LIKE TOO!) TCS IS ALWAYS ON! I HAVE HAD AN ALIGNMENT 2 TIMES AND I DONT HAVE THE STRUT RUB PROBLEM. THIS IS REALLY GETTING EXPENSIVE! ANY SUGGESTIONS?
In my experience that is really excessive wear for a GTO.

I beat the pi$$ out of the OEM KDWS's and they lasted more than 20K. Spun em, smoked em, quite a few runs north of 140. Even a soft performance tire like the Goodyear F1 GS-D3 should give you more than 10K the way you describe your driving habits.

What tires replaced the OEM's?

Who did you use for the alignments? A GM dealer or 3rd party? Are they qualified? Do they have the proper equipment? Did you deviate from factory caster and camber to change the handling?

What pressure do you maintain? I maintained mine at 34 PSI. That seemed to produce relatively even wear across the the entire footprint.

What sort of surface are you driving on, relatively smooth asphalt, or a combination of potholes and frost heaves?

Are you the original owner of the car? If not, are you sure it hasn't been in an accident? No frame damage? No suspension parts bent or out of alignment? Wheels all true?

Where is the most severe wear? Center? Edge? Uniform?

Do you rotate the tires at approx 5K miles? Sounds like you've got different wear patterns front and rear.

What about other wear characteristics? Any cupping? Have you checked the shocks & struts for leaks?

Who drives the car other than you?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 07:07 PM

I agree that that is excessive tire wear. I have my original factory BF Goodrich TAs and I have 13K on the car and they still look new. I spin them sometimes. I had to replace one rear back tire at 11K because I got a screw in the side wall and the tread looks the same as the the tread on the old tires.

2006 Cyclone M/T..K&N CAI.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 08:44 PM

I had in the neighborhood of 100 passes at a drag strip. I rotated the tires so they wore evenly and had 4/32 at 18,000 miles. 4/32 is about the minimum I go too in florida with all the rain we get. Peobably could have gotten another 5-7,000 out of them.

I think you either got a bad batch of tires, or since it's happened twice I'd look at alignment or suspension issues.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 05:55 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
I just had my original tires changed out. They had over 26K on them and was told they'd still pass inspection. I religiously rotated at 5K and maintained them properly but within the last 5K the front left tire had tread worn off on the inside but not enough to fail the tire. No explanation for this. It just wore and the alignment was within tolerance. I changed them out anyway, but they could have gone a good 5K more, Plenty of tread left on all 4 tires. Essentially I could have gotten over 30K. Not bad for a tire good for about 20K.

The tires I replaced them with came from one of the cars involved in the great train wreck of 05. Will be interesting to see if I get the same kind of wear on these.

Some tires will just wear prematurely. My son's Continentals on his 06 Cobolt wore out within 15K. All 4 were shot, GM replaced all 4 under warranty. The dealer said this happens from time to time.

Goatrider: If your tires wore out at 14K and they were rotated and maintained, your dealer should have replaced them under warranty. Tires ARE COVERED under warranty from premature wear.

BTW.... Welcome to the Forum.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 01:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to PAULCAPASSO
You defenatly need to have that realigned by atleast the dealer. DO NOT EVER BRING TO MIDAS OR ANY OTHER EQUIVELENT SHOPS. My experience... they never align the car correctly and do not go by spec. I watched someone at townfair tire align my truck by using rear tires as a guide, they sit narrower on the truck then the fronts do on the silverado 2500hd. because of that i had the wheels toe'd out. It ate the tires up in 10k miles. Another factor, the rear tires will only wear in the center from over inflation, unless the center of the tire has less tread from the factory for some reason and the body of the tire is round from side to side. On the front tires, camber and toe could be factors if not both together then one or the other, or your cornering to hard. Have the GM dealer align it. Tires just dont wear unevenly!

Last edited by PAULCAPASSO; 02-27-2008 at 02:07 PM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 01:48 PM

I've got 9K on my '05, drove somewhat hard but didn't beat on the car and my tires are toast...At 6K the rears wore out and fronts chewed up and cupped the edges. Rotated and aligned them to try to get more life out of them. The alignment was not out of spec, only had to tweek the front toe slightly. I have seen three other low mileage cars that chewed the front tires up just like mine. GM said this was the nature of this sports car and driver habits...
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsagto View Post
I've got 9K on my '05, drove somewhat hard but didn't beat on the car and my tires are toast...At 6K the rears wore out and fronts chewed up and cupped the edges. Rotated and aligned them to try to get more life out of them. The alignment was not out of spec, only had to tweek the front toe slightly. I have seen three other low mileage cars that chewed the front tires up just like mine. GM said this was the nature of this sports car and driver habits...
I hope you didn't let it go at that. It is NOT normal for tires to toast at 6K or even 9K. Unless the dealer can prove you abused the car, you should have new tires and the front end taken care of under warranty. It is not the nature of this car to chew up tires at 9K.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 08:59 AM

Hey, I have a friend with an 04 or 05 gto, *the 350 hp one* that is having the EXACT same problems. She has had 2 sets of tires from the dealer that she got the car from, and they even did the alignment both times claiming that they fixed the problem. They didn't though. This is the third time the tires have worn excessively within one year.

I didn't know what to do for her, so I checked the TSB's for both 04-05 and neither one really had a significant or relevant TSB. Only a clunk or bad bushing. Has anyone figured out the problem here with the tires? I would love to know as I am looking at a GTO for my fiance *don't even start this girl can drive her ass off* but I really don't want to deal with problems like this.

The car in question is a DD Auto, stock suspension, stock motor, stock car for all intensive purposes. She drives it pretty easy, doesn't go corner carving or driving too fast, only thing she ever does is get on it from a stoplight once in a while.

Any help would be appreciated.
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in