Top speed? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Top speed?

Anyone know what it is after disabling the speed limiter? For an 06 with cai and exhaust?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 07:16 PM

255 is the maximum limit that the computer can be set to.

If you're asking based on power, I'd say you could probably hit 165-170 on a relatively stock GTO, assuming you could find a long enough straight stretch. Much more than that and I suspect that you'd lift off.
The turbocharged 455 GTO from MTI would have hit 200 had it not had a problem.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 08:03 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via Yahoo to EEZ GOAT

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 08:08 PM

Valve Cover Gasket slipped off and spewed oil all over the place.
The car hit 193.1 and coasted across the finish line at that speed. They said that it could have easily hit 200 if they hadn't had the problem.
This was in the latest Motor Trend magazine, where they tested 5 or 6 of the fastest american cars. Pretty good article and the MTI GTO was said to be the best bang for the buck.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2006, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron_iv
Valve Cover Gasket slipped off and spewed oil all over the place.
The car hit 193.1 and coasted across the finish line at that speed. They said that it could have easily hit 200 if they hadn't had the problem.
This was in the latest Motor Trend magazine, where they tested 5 or 6 of the fastest american cars. Pretty good article and the MTI GTO was said to be the best bang for the buck.
Keep in mind that this was a stroked turbo car... not a cai and catback car....
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2006, 12:10 PM

YES! That's on a car with $42k worth of modifications, not only to the engine, but to the suspension and drivetrain as well. Your CAI+Catback car probably won't ever see over 165...and that's probably pushing your luck.
The GTO is no slouch, but as it leaves the factory, it's not prepared to do 190+ MPH, not only due to insufficient power, but also aerodynamics, suspension and tires. At 200mph, your tires are rotating about 50 times per second, the stock tires aren't designed to dissipate that kind of heat, or deal with that speed of rotation. Chances are that you'd have a blowout before getting anywhere close to 200mph on the stock tires. I don't know about you, but a blowout at 160+mph doesn't sound very exciting to me.
Here's the link to the modifications done on the MTI GTO to make it approach 200:
http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...ntiac_gto.html

And a video of the car, in the standing quarter mile:
http://www.motortrend.com/av/112_060...ding_mile_gto/
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2006, 12:30 PM

Well It May Be A Little Exciting, But Not The Good Type Of Excitement!!! Lol

05 TORRID RED M6 18'S BLACK INT.
1 OF 146
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2006, 12:37 PM

lol, no kidding, it would be the "change your pants when you finally come to a stop" type of excitement. Probably clean out your seat too. It wouldn't be pretty.
160 is about the fastest I've ever been in a car, and it is quite a rush. I am fairly certain that if I had an accident at that speed, I wouldn't be here talking to you now. Looking back on the incident, it was rather stupid, but I was 19 and in the USMC, so I felt bulletproof. It's probably not something I'd do again in a car which wasn't set up for those kind of speeds...and especially not on the highway, there's just way too much that can go wrong.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2006, 01:07 PM

i have an 06 m6 and had a passenger watching the speedo because at top speeds it's generally a good idea to watch where to steer!! LOL. i found a pretty good stretch of open highway here in kansas and i had it mashed in 5th giving it all i could and when i finally had to back off he said i just pushed the 165 mark and was approaching 170 steadily. i dont have any mods done yet. hell, i am still running a Delco air filter! i agree with baron that you really have to find a place to attempt pushing your car along for all it's worth. it is a thrill. i have raced all types of vehicles and i give the goat the best score over anything else. i've driven the c6 vette but not to its potential but from how i did drive it, it seems like it would haul ass with no probs at all. if im not mistaken the vette has a top speed of around 186 or so. i know that the c6 z06 is claimed to be around 192. so it is very possible to get some high 3 digit numbers with the goat. dont know if i will ever be able to see what it goes all the way up to factory stock but it would be interesting to see how she does. later yall.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2006, 06:32 PM

I saw the plus side of 180 in My C6. I don't think it had too much more. With a little luck it might have gotten 185 but the real usable top end is 180 in a C6 with the 6A.

I've seen posts and articles where GTO's and Holdens stock with just the limiter removed are good for 165-170.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in