Touble Selecting Gears - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Trouble Selecting Gears

I am having trouble getting my M6 into 1st or Reverse when the car is at a dead stop (obviously, since you'd never try to shift into them while moving, duh....sorry). The car is simply refusing to go into the gear unless I FORCE it. I might as well be trying to shift into second during CAGS. I asked the dealer and he says that there are no recalls/TSB's that he can find. I found a TSB regarding the issue, but the TSB does not apply to my VIN. Now the dealer claims that they can't duplicate the issue. I faxed them the TSB notice that I got from the NHTSA. Now I am waiting for them to call me back. Anyone else have a similar issue?

F R U S T R A T I N G !

Last edited by Kochilin; 03-09-2005 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 03:07 PM

When you say dead stop, do you mean after the car has been parked?

I had a similar issue with my car. Couldn't get it into reverse -- but putting it into another gear and bumping the clutch just enough for the car to move would correct it.

This happened a handful of times under 1000 miles -- but hasn't been a problem since. By the way, this hasn't happened when stopping at a traffic light or anything like that.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Gear Trouble

When the car has been parked but also when parallel parking. Or if I have to turn around in a driveway (3 point turn). Seems like all slow speed to stop shifts.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 03:21 PM

Trying to get into reverse from a stop is hard in almost ANY car. It's because most cars do not have an auto sycro(sp) for reverse. Just let go of the brake and get the car to move like an inch. Reverse will pop right in. Like that other guy said also, you can go forward for a bit then go to reverse. Sometimes I even put it in N and then move my body back and forth in the seat and it falls into reverse.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 03:41 PM

If you do a search, someone asked a similar question a while back. I have the same problem. It basically said you need to line up the synchros by , while started, shifting into 3rd and 4th. It does the trick for me. I only have the problem when the car is cold.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Not to sound rude, but I know how to drive a stick. Its not having my foot on the brake and trying to force it into reverse. Maybe I wasn't specific enough in my first post. The WHOLE gearbox locks up. I get neutral only. It won't go into any gear. I have tried applying different amounts of clutch, so that eliminates the clutch not engaging from user error. If the car is rolling it does not change the situation. Rocking seems to sometimes help, but this is just crazy that my car (with 4500 + miles) is getting worse. The TSB states "...there is the potential that the pressure plate bolts have worked loose and/or there is air in the clutch slave cylinder system." The dealer doesn't seem to want to check this because he claims he can't find the TSB. I know there is a difference between a consumer complaint TSB and an actual GM issued one. WTF "service" department?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 09:53 AM

I've only got about 400 miles on my '05. I've been driving manual transmissions for years and I've noticed a similar problem. Reverse and 1st are a bit difficult to get into sometimes. I ran into one other problem though. Coming from a 5 speed, I'm used to going all the way over and up to get to 5th... which is Reverse now. Two times I've almost put it in Reverse... I thought they'd have it locked out when traveling over 5 mph or so.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kochilin
Not to sound rude, but I know how to drive a stick. Its not having my foot on the brake and trying to force it into reverse. Maybe I wasn't specific enough in my first post. The WHOLE gearbox locks up. I get neutral only. It won't go into any gear. I have tried applying different amounts of clutch, so that eliminates the clutch not engaging from user error. If the car is rolling it does not change the situation. Rocking seems to sometimes help, but this is just crazy that my car (with 4500 + miles) is getting worse. The TSB states "...there is the potential that the pressure plate bolts have worked loose and/or there is air in the clutch slave cylinder system." The dealer doesn't seem to want to check this because he claims he can't find the TSB. I know there is a difference between a consumer complaint TSB and an actual GM issued one. WTF "service" department?
One quick check you can make to see if this TSB applies is to immediately shut off the motor, then see if the tranny goes into gear. The backing out of the flywheel bolts allows the clutch to make very light contact with it, thus making gear changes difficult. If the engine is shut off, there will be no more torque input from the clutch to the input shaft. If the shifter now goes into gear easily, you've verified the problem is probably the one identified by the TSB (or possible a bad clutch slave cylinder, etc.). If the shifter still doesn't want to go into any gear, your problem is in the shift or tranny, and the TSB is not an issue.

Hope this helps. let us know what you find.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 01:46 PM

I had the exact same problem with my SVT. It wouldn't go into reverse unless I turned off the ignition. It also wouldn't go into 1st unless I ran it throught the gears first. I added a new tranny fluid with a friction enhancer that helps the sycronizers allign or something. There is also supposed to be a friction enhancer you can add that the SVT guys called a "tranny cocktail." Hope this helps.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 01:52 PM

Below is a paste from the SVT thread:

GM Synchromesh is supplied by Penzoil and is the same as Penzoil Synchroshift.

Of the various fluids that CEG members have tried and reported on, I don't remember much about Synchromesh or Synchroshift. I suspect that it would benefit from 2 oz of friction modifier. I believe that it is a GL4 gear oil and should be fine.

Here are some of the other products that have been used:

Mercon (factory fill),

Mercon with friction modifier,

Mercon V (with or without friction modifier)(works better with friction modifier)(a semi-synthetic multi viscosity blend similar to ATF+4 except for much less friction modifier),

Mobil 1 ATF (which is a full synthetic Mercon) with friction modifier (also known as the "cocktail"),

ATF+3 which is already very high in friction modifier and needs no additional (works extremely well),

ATF+4 which is the latest spec from Chrysler and mostly replaces ATF+3 (is either a synthetic blend or a full synthetic, Chrysler won't reveal it's composition)

Ford full synthetic MTX honey colored GL4 (factory fill starting in January 2000 as well as factory fill on Focus)(also specified for replacement or top off of earlier MTX75 transmissions that had Mercon for factory fill)(works best with 2 oz of friction modifier)(some have speculated that this is Penzoil synchroshift's more rare synthetic),

RedLine MTL and MT90 (of the two MTL seems to have a more loyal following)(It is reported tha MTL does not need additional friction modifier while MT90 does)(both are full synthetic)(one is more like GL4 gear oil while the other is thinner more like atf but I don't know which one is which).

I personally have used ATF+3 and Ford honey with added friction modifier as well as ordinary Mercon in my own car. I have Ford honey with added friction modifier in it now. I think that it is about the same as or slightly better than ATF+3. ATF+3 is a huge improvement over Mercon. I have three quarts of ATF+4 to try when it is time to change the fluid again in about another 20,000 miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in