Traction Control '05 GTO - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Traction Control '05 GTO

This was probably covered in earlier discussions, but since I'm a new owner...
When at the track is better to have the traction control on or off? It seems like off there is a tremendous amount of spinning of tires (practice and larger tires should help here) with it off and with it and whenT/C is on it seems to cut back on the HP when starting to spin.

I will also be getting some sort of supercharger withing the next month or two (plus CAI). Moderndaymusclecar.com has the pro-chargers and Lingenfelter has the Magnuson. Both of these companies require you drop off the vehicle to have the work done. Problem is that I live in Northern Virginia and Lingenfelter is in Indiana and the other is in Georgia. I would make the drive if I have no other choices but what happens if something goes wrong with the SC? - I would probably need to make another 500 mile trip.

Any advice?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 07:07 AM
big_mike

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
HEY! I am in northern VA also! Woodbridge actually. Welcome to our playground!

As for your questions, leave the traction control off, with it on you are losing some serious power! If you want, I can meet up with ya and help you on your launching techniques. Believe me, with the IRS, that sucker will HOOK!

As for the supercharger, you dont have to leave VA to get it put on. You can order the blower from a vendor here, and have it put on at any one of the fine shops we got. Hell, even Pallone Chevy in Springfield would put it on for under a grand.

And if there is a problem, you can just go back to the dealer.

-Mike

p.s. - hit me up with any questions you may have, and let me know if you want to practice on that launching. I got the PERFECT place to practice, with -0- cops.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_mike
p.s. - hit me up with any questions you may have, and let me know if you want to practice on that launching. I got the PERFECT place to practice, with -0- cops.

Don't you love those spots!!!

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 10:02 AM
big_mike

oh god yes! Endless practicing for hours on end!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 11:26 AM

Mike,
Generally when you get a supercharger put on by someone who's done it many times, they give you a warranty and you can be reasonably certain that it's not going to break down on your way back home.
One thing I would suggest that you look into is the difference between a roots/twin-screw type and a centrifugal supercharger to determine what you want. They have different properties and they work in different ways. The differences are rather significant in low-mid range horsepower/torque. It comes down to do you want a ton of low-end torque/hp or do you want a positively SCREAMING top end with not much gain at low-rpm. Each has their advantages, as well as disadvantages.
Other than that, as long as you have a proper tune, a supercharged engine will be as reliable as a naturally aspirated engine as long as you take care of it.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 11:28 AM
big_mike

agreed. more long winded, but fully agree.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 11:36 AM

Sorry, I have a bad habit of writing novels instead of replies. Sometimes that's what it takes to get my point across.
As for me, when my goat gets supercharged, I'm going with either roots or twin-screw. There's just no substitute for all that tire-smoking fun.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 11:42 AM
big_mike

NO, there is not! And for an auto, its an even greater mod as they lose so much power anyway so with a Maggie, 3200 stall with a 2.5 STR, and a set of 3.73 gears on a sticky tire?!?!

YANK! to a 1.5 short time!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks

Thanks for the info guys. I'm sure I will have more questions when I find a local distibutor and installer. Any advice on this would be appreciated as well.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 02:34 PM
big_mike

I got tons of advice for ya! Just get in touch with me.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in