Traction Control SUCKS! - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Traction Control SUCKS!

We got some good snow here and took the goat out for a drive. Everytime I'd take of on a hill the car would spin and display "low traction". It wouldn't rev past 1000 RPM's. Had to turn it of and spin out with one wheel, and it still took a while to do that. I absolutly hate that feature! Thank God I was on a back road with little traffic and not a main road. My whole family could have been serioulsy hurt. What's the point of having an electronic limited slip if you can't even use it. Something has to be done to get that fixed. Are there any aftermarket lockers that can be installed or betteryet, a way to change the computer from killing the RPM's during wheel spin. This is nerve recking!

'05 QSM M6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 02:33 AM

Like putting a seatbelt on, taking TC off is a H A B I T.

The goat is not my daily driver though (no rain or SNOW).
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOWHUH
We got some good snow here and took the goat out for a drive. Everytime I'd take of on a hill the car would spin and display "low traction". It wouldn't rev past 1000 RPM's. Had to turn it of and spin out with one wheel, and it still took a while to do that. I absolutly hate that feature! Thank God I was on a back road with little traffic and not a main road. My whole family could have been serioulsy hurt. What's the point of having an electronic limited slip if you can't even use it. Something has to be done to get that fixed. Are there any aftermarket lockers that can be installed or betteryet, a way to change the computer from killing the RPM's during wheel spin. This is nerve recking!
Wow. I thought that Nebraskins knew how to drive in the snow. It must not snow as much as I thought it does there. I grew up in SD, where we got pleanty of snow. Granted, I've never driven my GTO in the snow, so maybe the T/C will actually hurt trying to drive safely.

Anyway, the idea when driving in snow is not to lose traction. So whenever it displays "low traction", you're applying too much trottle. Back off a bit. Ideally, you should never see the low traction display....although it is difficult with this much power.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 05:51 AM
big_mike

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
see? I tried to tell yall that traction control isnt as good as most say it is.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 08:29 AM

I have mixed feelings on the issue... usually I turn it OFF. The other day though, it had rained and it was almost a neccesity to keep the car's @$$ from breaking loose on turns/take offs. I've not had a problem with one wheel spinning... even in the snow thus far. I usually start off in 2nd though when its snowy.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOWHUH
I agree, we donít get much ICE in FL but streets are very slippery after rain it is so seldom. In theory I should not be able to spin tires but thatís not the case. Very easy to spin tires out of control. But I donít understand your comments. My GTO has Standard Limited Slip and T/C applies rear brakes and limits throttle only. Has nothing to do with Differential. T/C is very annoying on dry pavement hit second @ 6k and brakes apply make left turn and half way through rear squats down. Wish T/C were off by default and on when you desire. You probably have A4 but on my Camaro 6sp I would always take off in second gear when slippery. Donít know about A4, I was born in Indianapolis but never drove in Snow to this date.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 02:14 PM

Wow.

This is a lot of whining over a single button push.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRacer
you should never see the low traction display....although it is difficult with this much power.
I was in Alaska for 5 years so this isn"t $hit! I'm not a Nabraskian! I'm very used to driving in snow. Like Big Mike stated...with this much power it's easy to loose traction.

When I was taking off, I was almost on a level serface but there was a lot of snow and slush. Even tried second and it would not even go. Turning off the T/C was what helped. I thought a traction control device was exactly that, for extra traction! You'd think two wheels spinning would get you out of snow but not when the throttle dies on you.

'05 QSM M6
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 02:38 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
first off if i was going to drive the baby in the winter i'd definately get snow tires. i've been driving in Western Michigan snow w/RWD cars for 40 years and it is an old trick that has only been abandoned because of radials and FWD. try it, it works. TC works fine when i've had her out on wet roads because it was too easy without it to lose control. mine's set up now with the TC off semi-permanently. with an '04 just unplug the harness by the Bosch control motor at the rear of the passenger side engine compartment. just follow the throttle cable back from the throttle body. with an '05 you'd need to get an inverter that basically pushes the button to off when you start the car.

2004 Blk/Rd M6
6.3 litre LS1

Built and tuned by svede
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 03:53 PM
Rob in CT

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
There is a thing on Ebay that installs on the siring to the traction control switch, it sends a signal to turn it off when you start the car, after that it works normally. I have one, but have not installed it yet, waiting for spring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in