Tranny clunk - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tranny clunk

I have a 2005 GTO 6MT. I have been doing a good bit of driving with the windows down in the nice warm weather here in STL, but I am hearing a nice clunk when driving at slow speeds when I depress the clutch, and when I release the clutch if I dont match the revs just right. It is also very noisy when I go into first or second gear. Not quite a grind, but a good sounding clunk. I have taken it to one local dealer who gave me a service bulitin saying it is normal, but it seems to be getting louder and I have about 3500 miles left on my warrenty. Any ideas or similar happenings here?
mynameiswazy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 04:22 PM
 
GM4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: RAF Lakenheath, UK
Posts: 4,162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hard to tell my guess it would be driveline slack that is normal.



GM4life is offline  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator
 
GTO JUDGE's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 8,433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameiswazy View Post
I have a 2005 GTO 6MT. I have been doing a good bit of driving with the windows down in the nice warm weather here in STL, but I am hearing a nice clunk when driving at slow speeds when I depress the clutch, and when I release the clutch if I dont match the revs just right. It is also very noisy when I go into first or second gear. Not quite a grind, but a good sounding clunk. I have taken it to one local dealer who gave me a service bulitin saying it is normal, but it seems to be getting louder and I have about 3500 miles left on my warrenty. Any ideas or similar happenings here?
I know exactly what it is..... I just had the same thing...

It's not your transmission. It's your rear end. Your clutches in the rear are binding. The oil in the rear end breaks down. It needs replaced.

The Fix: Take it to your dealer, they will drain the old oil, clean out the rear, refill it with synthetic oil and make sure they add an additive to quiet it.

This will happen to the rear ends. My rear was replaced at 3K due to rear end whine, at 17K on that rear I had clunking and growling, it was intermittent and got progressively worse. Once they add the new oil, give it a day or so to get the entire rear fully saturated in the new oil. Mine is fine now.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org


GTO JUDGE is offline  
 
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO judge View Post
I know exactly what it is..... I just had the same thing...

It's not your transmission. It's your rear end. Your clutches in the rear are binding. The oil in the rear end breaks down. It needs replaced.

The Fix: Take it to your dealer, they will drain the old oil, clean out the rear, refill it with synthetic oil and make sure they add an additive to quiet it.

This will happen to the rear ends. My rear was replaced at 3K due to rear end whine, at 17K on that rear I had clunking and growling, it was intermittent and got progressively worse. Once they add the new oil, give it a day or so to get the entire rear fully saturated in the new oil. Mine is fine now.

Thats good to know. I bought the car out of state and the local dealerships here in the St Louis area are pretty crappy when it comes to service. Was the rear end service covered under warrenty, and if not what was the charge?

thanks a lot
mynameiswazy is offline  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator
 
GTO JUDGE's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 8,433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameiswazy View Post
Thats good to know. I bought the car out of state and the local dealerships here in the St Louis area are pretty crappy when it comes to service. Was the rear end service covered under warrenty, and if not what was the charge?

thanks a lot
It's all warranty. The entire car is covered 3/36 except normal wear and tear items. This is DEFINITELY a warranty issue. Take the car to a Pontiac dealer and tell them you heard what the problem is and what the corrective action is. A TSB telling you clunking and grinding is normal is horse$hit. They will have to examine it before rendering their opinion but it is an easy fix.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org


GTO JUDGE is offline  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Fantastic. I appreciate the help on this one.
mynameiswazy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome