User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to raven1124
Tranny problems?

I know this has probably been addressed before, but I couldn’t find it anywhere when I searched for it. Does anybody hear a clunk when shifting from 1st to 2nd at low rpm? This is a real annoying sound. Any help would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 10:19 PM

Do you have an A4 or M6? If an M6, is your clutch fully depressed? I have no noises in my M6. If and M6, consider using a good synthetic tranny fluid like Royal Purple Synchromax

https://www.gtoforum.com/showthread.php?t=4226

05 Brakes w/ C5Pads, K&N CAI, TBCoolantByPass, -CAGS, , +Outlets, DeadPedal, UnSpoiled, GasCapHook, PedalsRightSideUp, HitchToGo,
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, it's a M-6. Just weird if nobody else is having this problem. I only have a 1000 miles on her.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 09:05 AM

Sounds like a "thunk in the trunk" recall, inquire at your dealership about this.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 11:48 AM

At low rpm it sounds like some tranny slack. I rarely hear it on my GTO, my V does it a lot. It's not something that can be fixed. Changing how you shift will "fix" it.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmesGTO
At low rpm it sounds like some tranny slack. I rarely hear it on my GTO, my V does it a lot. It's not something that can be fixed. Changing how you shift will "fix" it.
I think it can be fixed.... even your V can be fixed, I've heard of this on both of these cars. Try calling the dealership and asking them about the TSB called thunk in the trunk, tell him your complaint and he should be able to steer you to it. If it doesn't fix your car then pm me and tell me to shut up ( ), and AmesGTO try this link for your problem:http://www.bmrfabrication.com/CTS-Vpage.htm
....you'll need the "anti-wheelhop kit" and the "pinion support brace", and if you want to be cool get that strut tower bar!
P.S. The T.S.B. # for the "thunk in the trunk" is #04-03-09-003A !
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 12:46 PM

The thump in the trunk is under a hard launch. I had one fixed on my GTO. The tranny slack problem is different, it's low rpm and it's a clunk in the drive shaft; this is what it sounds like raven is talking about.

The GTO rarely does it, the V is really easy to do it because GM put some rubber parts in the drivetrain. There is no fix on the V even though it's really bad. It's probably the #1 V owner complaint.

I decided not to try and get the wheel hop out of the V. GM has been denying broken diff claims on V's with BMR parts and GM's fix doesn't look very good to me. The V is my daily driver so I don't worry about drag times anyway.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 12:53 PM

Interesting on the "V" stuff, the pinion support should help but if dealers are denying warranty then I'd live with it too. As far as the goat, I've had a few customers that even under "light" acceleration noticed this, I do know what you're talking about on the driveshaft noise, not sure....
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmesGTO

Sometimes it's not when I shift. I can hear it when I engage the clutch. For example, I'll pull up to a stop sign in 1st and engage the clutch and brake to stop and "clunk". I'm going to contact my dealer tomorrow. Will post what he replies with.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven1124
Sometimes it's not when I shift. I can hear it when I engage the clutch. For example, I'll pull up to a stop sign in 1st and engage the clutch and brake to stop and "clunk". I'm going to contact my dealer tomorrow. Will post what he replies with.
It's definately tranny slack. That's when it happens, when you press in the clutch. I'd bet a GTO dealer won't know anything about it, like I said it's not fixable anyway. A Caddy dealer likely would know what you are talking about, but they can't fix it either. I usually see it when I'm in a low speed situation and do a slow 1 to 2 shift. But, driving around slow and pressing the clutch in you'll see it. The GTO is a lot tougher to make it happen.

They talk about it a lot here, but I can tell you this thread is a year old and I've still never heard of anyone "fixing" it. I just change the rpm I shift at and how I release the clutch and I don't see it very often now. With the GTO I never really heard it very often: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=10546
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in