Pontiac GTO Forum banner

Transmission/Clutch issue?

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  svede1212 
#1 ·
I have an 05 gto with under 30k miles I bought roughly a month ago. I have noticed that the shifting was normal when I purchased it but now over the past week or two it seems the shifting is very loose but functions properly. If I have the car off, clutch in and wiggle the shifter between neutral and gears I can hear a ticking which seems louder then normal.

Should I be worried or is this common with the warmer weather?

#4 ·
Yeah it is a stock shifter, i have never adjusted them or even removed them. I will take a look at this, thank you. Any tutorials on this or anything i should be careful about while doing this?

#5 ·
All you need to do it pop the center console up. Remove the rubber front tray liner and remove the one Phillips screw up all the way inside that cubby. Open the center console storage cover and carefully pull up on the plastic top of the shifter console from the sides starting at the back and working forward. There are clips that hold it down. Disconnect the TC and windows switches and you can move the whole thing out of the way. Underneath you'll see how to remove the ring to get under the boot to look at the shifter and handle. Remember to reconnect the switches when you put it back together. I've forgotten that a few times. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.