Transmission Help - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-30-2004, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Transmission Help

Please help. I have had two problems with my manual transmission and I would appreciate any help that you can provide. First of all, at times reverse is near impossible to engage. Next, there are times when I go for a downshift to fourth at say, 70 mph, I end up with second gear, not a fun time at all. Finally there is a great deal of vibration coming up through the gear shift lever, at times there is a definite rattle at the top of the lever, as though something is loose inside of the shift lever itself. My dealer has attempted to deal with the problem. The dealership removed the shift boot and drove around to see if something in the trans itself was loose under acceleration, but they didn't find anything. I mean, to be honest at speed, lets say 80 to 90 mph the shift lever feels like it is a cordless drill under full load. My dealership has pretty much held up its hands and said they have done all that they can do. Any help you can provide would be most appreciated.
Thanks,
Todd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-30-2004, 10:24 PM

Practice?

Sorry...not trying to be a smart-ass at all. I find the GTO's Tremec to be a nice-shifting tranny, maybe a bit long in the throws for my tastes but still one with good "feel" and decent precision. It ain't no BMW tranny (near-surgical, those!) but it's pretty fecking close.

I've got years of driving manuals under my belt, however...maybe you just need more time to get a feel for it. Take it easy and don't try to shift like Steve McQueen all the time...
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 06:55 AM

Shifting into reverse is controlled by a speed activated soleniod. The car needs to be stopped to engage reverse. I often go into reverse on a slope and if the car is rolling just a little bit, the solenoid blocks entry.

Sorry to hear about the shift lever vibrations. I drive with my hand on the shift lever all the time and love how smooth it is. Often a vibration is caused by a problem elsewhere. Thus it may not be a problem with your transmission. You could have a bad engine or transmission mount. A bad engine mount on my Volvo caused a lot of vibration last summer. I'd also check the tire balance/alignment (rear especially because the front often shows up in the sterring wheel), universal joints, and the drive shaft balance. Does the vibration less or go away when you disengage the clutch and let the engine go to idle (no power on the drive train)? I don't want to suggest turning the engine off but I might do it on a wide straight section of road with no traffic. rotate the tires front to rear. Check out different aspects like this to see if you can get some clues about where the cause is. better yet, take it to the dealer and suggest the mechanic drive the car and explore.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 08:54 PM

I've got a video file I can send you that has tips on shifting technique. get me your email address and I'll send you the file since I don't know how to post it. Any inward pressure down shifting from 3rd or 5th will get you second. No pressure gets you fourth. Hand position can help and is illustrated in the video.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 06:21 AM

Mine also has problems going into reverse and sometimes into 1st. What I typically do for reverse when I have the problem is roll it through some of the other gears, clutch it a couple times, and then reverse seems to work. I know there was reported issues of loosened bolts that was causing this issue within a certain build date range. Maybe check the TSB's listeed on the site.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Groucho,
No offense taken, but, I've also been driving stick since the mid 80's, everything from Dodge Omni's to Corvettes and Miatas and everything in between. I have never had this problem with any of them before. I talked with a distant relative that works for one of Tremec's sister companies and he has said that the solenoid should prevent shifting into the gear when the speed is in excess of certain parameters. This may or may not be bull droppings from him, but like I said, I had never had this problem before.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 09:46 AM

Send a message via AIM to Whiteshadow
Does this problem persist after the car has been driven for a while?

I've noticed that my car doesn't seem to want to go into ANY gear when it's cold. By cold, I mean around 40 degrees. The car is now in storage for the winter, so it won't see any temperatures colder than that.

I remember having a tough time getting into reverse, when it was cold, but that was the only time I ever had trouble with reverse.

I don't think the question has been asked yet, but are you using an aftermarket shifter? Sometimes the stiff aftermarket shifters will rattle like a sonofabitch at low, and high speeds. :shrug: sorry I couldn't be of more help!
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 07:10 PM

I've heard other get better shifting from their tranny when the drain the fluid and replace it with synthetic, e.g., Amsoil. I am planning on putting it in the tranny and rear axle.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 11:58 PM

Mine shifts fine but has an annoying rattle or buzz above 3000rpm that kinda comes and goes. There is a little vibration in the shifter handle but not to bad. Does everybodys shifter kinda move up and down as you are driving down the road and going over normal bumps?
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 11:05 AM

The shifter should not rattle in your goat, period
The lever is attached to the transmission case and floats along the shifter forks; therefore, you will feel vibrations through the shifter that correspond with the harmonics of the engine and the input shaft, but never should the shifter rattle... on a low mileage unit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in