As The Tremec Turns - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As The Tremec Turns

Rec'd a call from the service guy. They have my tranny pulled and dissected. They are to make a repair or replace determination tomorrow.

When I asked if it is a warranty issue, he stated "Yes, most likely."

I asked what caused it. "We're not exactly sure yet."

Ah, Mr. Goodwrench.

So...all I really got for sure out of the conversation is that something is obviously very wrong, and that it's going to be quite a few more days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 08:01 PM

What happened, I was gone for a while and missed the important stuff?
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 08:27 PM

Nevermind, I caught the thread where you explained what happened. Good luck with the warrantee.

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 08:42 AM
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho
So...all I really got for sure out of the conversation is that something is obviously very wrong, and that it's going to be quite a few more days.
Now is the conclusion that "something is obviously very wrong" based on your training as an engineer, on the specific training Mr. Goodwrench got so he could be Mr. Goodwrench, or just a hunch?

I think it is a combination of the first two, and has nothing to do with hunches.

I think the "few more days" is just a hunch and wishful thinking because a few usually is under say five or six. what was the movie where the bad gringo asked "what is a plethora" . exactly what is a few. I think it is more than a couple, but less than a dozen.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Now is the conclusion that "something is obviously very wrong" based on your training as an engineer, on the specific training Mr. Goodwrench got so he could be Mr. Goodwrench, or just a hunch?

I think it is a combination of the first two, and has nothing to do with hunches.

I think the "few more days" is just a hunch and wishful thinking because a few usually is under say five or six. what was the movie where the bad gringo asked "what is a plethora" . exactly what is a few. I think it is more than a couple, but less than a dozen.
Hmmm....I know I remember that quote. For some reason Chevy Chase comes to mind, maybe Three Amigos or Vacation??
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 09:19 AM

a plethora of pinatas?
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
My conclusion is based on the fact that Mr. Goodwrench has twice pegged my BS detector....and it's clear that they haven't a clue WTF happened yet. I'm betting on bearing failure...but I wanna know why. You guys should care as well, because my Holden is one of the highest-mileage ones here in the US......I don't post this stuff for sympathy, I post it to share information with The Brotherhood of the Goat.

It's also based on hope...which is admittedly a stupid thing to base anything on. Driving this POS Pontiac Vibe buzzbox loaner to work every day is really getting old. It may be a well built little crappy car, but the fact remains that it has one-third the HP of my car and is quite possibly the most boring vehicle I have ever driven. Boredom is bad whem you spend four hours a day in your car.

On the plus side, I'm going to have them replace the clutch while they have the tranny pulled. Also, it looks like this incident has allowed me to clear the decks with wifey for my buying a Triumph Trophy motorcycle later this year...

Last edited by Groucho; 06-17-2005 at 10:05 AM.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

OK...just got off the phone with the dealer.

They are warranting this problem and replacing the entire transmission. This is a good thing, as this is a $3000+ part.

Failure mode appears to be the tail bearing going out first, which precipitated much nastiness & chaos therein. I communicated my concern about a unabused transmission going buh-bye at only 31,000 miles, and asked if they could fill the housing with synthetic fluid. However, they will not put anything but GM-approved fluid back in the transmission...and as far as I can tell only the Redline Dextron II synthetic has the GM approval number...not the Dextron III replacement. Looks like I'll have to make the switcheroo on my own.

They are delivering the car back to me with the B&M shifter installed on the housing. They should have the new transmission Tuesday.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 12:19 PM

Congratulations on your victory!
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 12:49 PM

Yes, I am happy for you too. I only hope you had a defective transmission and there isnt some design flaw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in