Trunk Release Doesn't Work - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Trunk Release Doesn't Work

Noticed my trunk wasn't unlocking through the key fob and tried the button in the glove box which doesn't work either. I hear the click of a relay behind the glove box when I hit either button, but the trunk doesn't unlock.

The key fob locks and unlocks the doors just fine, and my second key fob works the same way in working the doors but not the trunk.

Am using the pull ring behind the passenger rear seat to access the trunk, however I'd like to know what's going on and if it's something simple that I can tear into or if I should take it to the dealer.

Anyone have this problem? I didn't see this in any other treads. Any suggestions or input would be appreciated.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 04:28 PM

well this is prob not much help but i would check all the fuses and then look and see if the wires connecting to the locking mech have been damaged

straight piped cat back, JBA shortys, JBA wires, AEM ca, and 421 slp tune
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the response Blue. Fuse looks good and it is clicking so it's getting power.

Called the dealer and they told me it is the Body Control Module that either failed or needs to be re-programmed. Very expensive part if it failed so I'm hoping it can be re-programmed.

Will search on the forum to see what others experience is with this part.

Again, thanks for the reply!

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 05:08 PM

well if it clicks i would open the trunk and while the lid is open close the latch on the trunk. and watch the latch while you push the button on the remote and see what it does. you may be able to see some binding and have you tried just lubing it up? sometimes its amazing what just wd 40, or some sort of lube can do..

straight piped cat back, JBA shortys, JBA wires, AEM ca, and 421 slp tune
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
You say you hear the click of the relay. Isn't that beyond the BCM in the trunk lock circuit? If so, the BCM should be at fault? Do you hear the sound of the motorized lock on the inside of the trunk lid?

2005 Pontaic GTO - CGM 6 Speed (My car)
2017 Chevrolet Colorado 2WT (My daily driver)
2010 Mercedes Benz C300 Sedan (Wife's car)
2014 Kia Rio LX (Wife's daily driver)
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Hi Guys, Thanks for your responses.

The click is under the dash, the trunk latch makes no noise when I try. When I pull the ring it opens easily so I don't think lube is the issue.

I'm wondering if I disconnected the battery if the system would reset. I may try that this evening.

If that doesn't work I guess my only other option is to take it to the dealer. I still need to get the passenger seat belt fixed as that doesn't retract as it should.

As a side note this car only has 4,600 miles on it and is garage kept. It looks and smells like new so I'm frustrated I'm having any trouble with it. Of course the paint is chipping off the door handles as well. sigh . . .

Will let you know if disconnecting the battery does anything. Again, thanks for the replies.

Mike
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
It could be the BCM this happened to me in the past. It is a salty fix. BCM's in these cars have failed all too often. I don't think resetting the computer by disconnecting the battery will help with the BCM, the PCM maybe. A guy in our club once experienced unlatching but not being able to open. I told him to check the adjustments on the underside of the trunk lid and that cured it, however in your case you are not hearing the release.

Another possibility for others who experience this JUST with the FOB [in your case its the release button too....] The battery may be getting weak in the FOB and may not have the "umpf" any longer, kind of like your remote control on your TV when the battery is weak, it will turn the TV on but not have enough life left in it to turn the channels.

Regarding the BCM' With 4600 on the clock is not a lot but its the age of it too. My BCM died @ 22,800. Your BCM may be the culprit here as it was with mine.

Many pride themselves in keeping low miles on this car for whatever reason however in doing so many problematic issues with this car happened while in warranty. With the age of the car despite the low miles the warranty expires and while an issue would have surfaced while under warranty now leaves GM off the hook. It's best to use this car well during the warranty period then backing off to keep low miles on it. The day that car is put in service the clock begins ticking. 10 miles on a 5 year old car is new to the owner but now old to GM, and more often than not with this car, an issue will arise that is now not covered..... Use em then park em..... Unless they are museum bound.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP11 View Post
You say you hear the click of the relay. Isn't that beyond the BCM in the trunk lock circuit? If so, the BCM should be at fault? Do you hear the sound of the motorized lock on the inside of the trunk lid?

If your under warranty take it in. If you have time on your hands the solonid is behind the right rear passenger panel. You have to remove the seats and the right rear panel to get to it. Its just aft of the speaker.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CACTUFW9.png
Views:	6337
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	7541

From the looks of it the relay is inside the BCM, to me the BCM is working. That can only be verified testing power coming out of it.

Last edited by GM4life; 05-26-2010 at 08:05 AM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks GTO Judge and GM4life, appreciate the insight and recommendations.

I bought this car from a private owner last summer with 1,100 miles on it, so I'm driving and enjoying it, but he didn't! Agree that to GM this is just another 2005 car that is out of warranty . . .

Disconnecting the battery didn't change anything. I'm aware the BCM is something like $250 so I'm not very excited to pay for that repair.

The actuator to open the trunk latch could be the issue and would make the most sense at this point. It needs to go in to the shop anyway for the seat belt issue so I just made an appointment to get it all taken care of.

Thanks again for all the wonderful help from everyone!

Mike
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 02:25 PM

I know this is late, but I'm having a similar issues and what I find works for me is that I have to pull up on the trunk while pushing the trunk release button to get it to open. If you haven't already addressed the issue, this might help you out in the meantime as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in