User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
trunk will not open

Hello,

The trunk on my 06 GTO will not open using the key pad. I can hear the mechanism operating at the truck lid when the button is pushed, but it doesn't open (trunk will open with manual operator). Before I open the lid looking for the problem, does anyone have any suggestions about this? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 01:26 PM

Using the key fob to open the trunk is a little tricky. I found that if you can hear the trunk releasing with the fob, you have about 1 second to open the trunk or it will re-lock itself immediately. Try opening the trunk almost at the same time you are hitting the fob button.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68OldGoat View Post
Using the key fob to open the trunk is a little tricky. I found that if you can hear the trunk releasing with the fob, you have about 1 second to open the trunk or it will re-lock itself immediately. Try opening the trunk almost at the same time you are hitting the fob button.

Mine stays open once I push the button.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 01:33 PM

Does the trunk pop open like it is spring loaded, because mine doesn't pop up. Maybe that is why it re-locks itself. Is the trunk supposed to be spring loaded?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 01:38 PM

Your automatic latch on the inside of the trunk is broke. It is a very common problem. It happened to me. You gotta take the felt liner off the top of the trunk lid (popping the black plastic rivets out). Then take a big phillips screwdriver and take the latch off. Once that's off, you can hit the key fob and watch the cable move and see where it's broke. There are two separte cables that go to the same latch. One is the manual cable, the other is the remote keyfob cable. That is why your manual latch under the passenger side headrest works but your keyfob won't.

My first go round, I took a heavy duty coat hanger, bent it into a small S shape, and used a puddy that I bought from O'Reily's that has the same effect as JB weld that you have to roll together in your fingers to activate, and once it gets warm to the touch, you apply it where you want it. I took the end of the cable where the factory latch had broke off and stuck it to the coat hanger hook I had made. It worked for about a year then the puddy broke.

My second go round I went to Wal-Mart and bought one of those cheap "make your own fishing leader kits" from the sporting goods section and took the leader wire and made a little hoop and ran it through the factory latch. It works and probably will never break, but the way I've got the fishing leader rigged up in there is rubbing up or pulling against the wiring in the trunk for the trunk light and unless you lift the trunk as you press the keyfob, the light doesn't come on or flickers on and off.

Once the trunk is open I can hit the release button another time or 2 and the light comes on. It's not that big of a deal to me, since I lift the trunk the same time I hit the button anyways, for the same reasons the guys above stated. If I had more free time and more ambition, I'd get back inside the trunk and find out what is rubbing or pulling on the light wires and fix the problem.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68OldGoat View Post
Does the trunk pop open like it is spring loaded, because mine doesn't pop up. Maybe that is why it re-locks itself. Is the trunk supposed to be spring loaded?
It doesn't pop up, but it does sit just above the lock.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

I think you are on target with the path forward to fix my problem - many thanks!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Check the adjustment knobs. They are those big black plastic looking screws one on each side of the underside of the trunk. If they are not adjusted properly you can hear the mechanism releasing but the trunk's not unlatching, the trunk does not pop it just releases. Thats your issue.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 08:49 PM

My trunk "unlatches". No noticed movement, but you can open it. It also stays unlatched until I hit the door lock button. Or drive the car.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 07:50 AM

+1 on the adjustment knobs.... I never would have guessed this.

My trunk release was actuating (via keyfob, or glovebox switch), but unless I was right there to lift the trunk, it would not unlatch.

Half a turn (outward) on the rubber stops fixed it. Now the trunk unlatches every time, and pops up ~3/16" when I hit the button.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in