Turn light fuse blows sometimes - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Turn light fuse blows sometimes

Hi! I had a problem with my goat a month ago when the turn signal light fuse blew. I took it to the dealer to check it out and they said they didn't find a bad circuit and replaced the fuse. It worked fine on the way home. I started the goat up a couple hours later and the fuse blew again. So I went and got me 10 fuses, replaced the blown one and tried it.

The right side signals worked fine, but when I turned on the left (driver's side) signals, I heard like a vibrating noise coming from the fuse box (underneath the steering wheel) and the fuse blew. I took the left taillight out and checked the bulb and the wiring. The bulb looked fine to me but one of the wires had black spots on it but I couldn't see any other damage to it. I put some electrical tape around the wires and tried it again and it worked fine.

For 2 weeks. Then it blew again I replaced it and the lights worked for 3 weeks until it blew again just last weekend What the heck i is that? On the days that this happened it was always nice weather, no rain. So I kinda ruled out moisture to be the problem... Does anybody have an idea?

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
hmmmmmmm my first thought is there may be a short. Perhaps the positive part of the wire making contact with metal somewhere when turning? A ground fault maybe? Maybe wires are being pinched or crimped when turning shorting it out and causing the burns? Without tracking the entire route of the wire to the fuse box, tough call.

Did any mice or any other critter seek refuge up under your car and nibble wires?

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

Last edited by GTO JUDGE; 08-12-2008 at 02:19 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

Well I took the front socket out and washed it out with contact cleaner. I also replaced the bulb just in case. I couldn't get a look at the wires since the front turnlight is all the way in the corner. We'll see how long it lasts

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 10:10 AM

Crazy, did it work? I am having the same problem.

RGF 67
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Nope. A day after I did that it blew again. This time, if I activated the left flashers for half a second I heard the relay buzz. I could do that a couple of time before the fuse blew. The right side AND the 4-way flashers worked just fine. That leads me to the conclusion that it could almost only be the flasher relay. I ordered one last week and should get it by Thursday. But it hasn't been messing up for a week and a half now...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in