Just to report back (I know i'm pretty much talking to myself here but that's okay) in case anyone has this problem as well here is what fixed it for me: Removed the K&N CAI and throttle body, the MAF also came out as part of the CAI removal. Picked up some MAF Cleaner from the boys down at Pep and gave the MAF a solid cleaning, then gave the throttle body a good shot of carb cleaner. Put the car back together and gave it a test-run at which the car shook violently... really violently, immediately threw the check engine light so I shut her down. I then realized a MAF soaked in cleaning fluid won't sense air flow too well... Let the car sit (to dry) overnight, started her in the morning and she puuuuurrrrrrs. Cleared the code and it never came back.
Another quick point: I had noticed my car had been very thirsty lately and on my drive home last night I monitored the mileage gauge (as accurate as it is or isn't ) and I was getting terrible, terrible mileage - Cruise set at 65 I was lucky to maintain 18-19mpg. This morning on the way in, Cruise set at 70 and I was maintaining a steady 27-28mpg (car is an m6).
Sorry to ramble, thought it might help someone someday... maybe.