walking/throwing belts! whats going on? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 02:11 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
walking/throwing belts! whats going on?

hey guys, i've been beating myself up trying to find the problem, or cure for the belt issue i've been having.

first of all, it an 05 GTO, with a few mods on the pulley system. I have an underdrive crank, and i'm looking for an overdrive alt. when i get on it a bit, i have to pop my hood just to make sure it's still on streight; it likes to walk over a groove or 2 on the tensioner pulley. this in turn pulls it slightly off the water pump pully, and gets it out of line on the power steering a groove or 2.

with this beeing said, i have bought a new tensioner, and a new belt (el cheap-o till i get this fixed). *edit* there are 3 indicators on the tensioner, i'm lined up at the tightest one.*edit* i have considered getting a tensioner pulley machined with higher edges on it, as to "guide" the belt a little better, but i think this might just mask some other problem.

also i have checked the water pump (nice and solid), the power steering has no side to side motion. alt is good, almost looks new, free spins nice and easy. the idler is slightly loose, but i can't see that cuasing anything since it don't jump or walk off the crank UD pulley.

what do you think?

Last edited by motoristx; 04-27-2010 at 02:13 AM. Reason: more info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 02:55 AM

If your belt walks your pulleys are not aligned. I take it this started once you installed the ud? I'd start there.

<-- Guess which ones quicker?.....Nope! Not even close.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 04:02 AM Thread Starter

hate to say it, but I just bought it like this. it only does it when I'm getting heavy into the throttle, and it's only "every-once-in-a-while". i have eye balled it, and it looks good, but then i'm half blind... it hasn't "pollished" one side of the belt either, so i'm thinking it is just getting to where the spring is not taking up the slack or something. this is why i'm going with the idea that if i got a pulley with higher "guides" it might solve it. or just going with a manual tensioner, but I don't want to that route yet.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 07:53 AM

Your crank pulley may not be fully seated. The crank bolt suppose to be tighted to 240ft-lbs. I would try to see if it has the correct torque on it before anything else. Surpintiene belts are not like the old V-belts where they can be slightly off, and still work fine. Some brands of UD pullies have short retention walls, I think one company claims they have tall ones.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 08:33 AM

Garage
My Vette was eating AC belts, the idler pulleys were shot.
I had a plymouth voyager that was throwing belts, I turned the belt around and it stayed on forever, as if the belt is directional, but it worked.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 08:35 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
The bearings should be tight in the idler pulley, if it moves around replace the bearing or the whole pulley.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

ok i resolved my problem.

i retained my stock belt tensioner, put a custom Tensioner pulley on it with bigger/taller edges, it cost 40 bucks on ebay. Bam! no more throwing belts! i'll see about posting a pic of it sooner or later.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 02:15 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to dquack
I was driving heavy down the autobahn today and noticed a slight whining when I hit the off ramp. I pulled it home slowly and noticed the belt had jumped one rib to the outside. I have had the car for 6,000 miles and this has never happened. The outside outer edge of the belt has a slight raise to it now. I think it is going to walk again. I am thinking of replacing the belt any other ideas while I have the belt off?

2006 Black on black M6 - Cam, Supermaxx header system, valvetrain kit, L76 intake, L92 Heads, Volant cool air intake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BgmGcv90RM

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 02:57 AM

Send a message via MSN to vxssls1
ive used the gates high walled pulley ..it worked treat
Gates 38009 Auto Part | Car Replacement Part

222/224 112
241 ported heads 11:1
comp 918's
OTR
25% UDP
ported TB
4 into 1's 1 5/8,3"cats,twin 3" X force
M6,ripshifter
[email protected],390rwhp

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in