Warped rotors? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2005, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Warped rotors?

I assume my rotors are warped as I get a lot of shudder in my steering wheel and car when braking between 45 and 60 mph. I don't feel it when cruising or accelerating so I doubt it's the tires being out of balance. With 11k miles, will the dealer warranty them? Other manufacturers seem to only warranty them for the first 10k miles. What is a good option for replacement if they don't?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 12:29 AM

Rotors are a wear item but they shouldn't warp at 11,000 miles. GM should stand behind their product and probably will.

FYI, I replaced the rotors on a Volvo 850 Turbo at 110,000 miles after three sets of linings. They were no longer thick enough to meet spec. They never warped and never failed mechanically. That's a resonable expectation these days.

The rotors on my 05 GTO are thicker and larger in diameter than the Volvo as well as being ventilated at all four corners. The Volvo had solid discs in back. I certainly don't expect to have any problems.

Good Luck.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 12:52 AM

I get the same wheel shudder when I brake also, is that something characteristic of the gto?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 04:08 AM

No, its a charactoristic of wrapped rotors. If the dealer won't cover it under warrantee then you have three options.

1) Remove your rotors, have your rotors turned at a local autoshop, reinstall with new pads. Consider using C5 front pads - they have almost double the contact surface and they just drop in. Note, some will argue the once a rotor wraps, turning it only pospones the inevitable (replacement) and they will wrap again - plus your typical shop can not turn them to the tolerance of a new rotor.

2) Get new aftermarket rotors, like Powerslots, that can improve performance. Again, use C5 brake pads. If you have an 04, consider replacing the rear rotors with 05 rotors and pads so you get the ventilated rear disks.

3) If you have an 04, go all the way and replace with an upgraded brake kit like a Baer 13-inch (stock 04s are 11.7-inch if I remember correctly).

BTW - the first thing any GTO owner should do is drop in C5 pads and bleed the brakes. The GTOs seem prone to coming from the factory with air in the brake lines. It took me two flush and bleeds before I got all the bubbles out. What a difference. My GTO originally didn't even have enough braking power to get the anti-skid to engage on dry pavement. Now the pedal is firm and the tires and road surface are what is limiting my braking.

Last edited by Xman; 05-15-2005 at 04:24 AM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 04:56 PM

Warped rotors is likely not the cause of your problem. Uneven pad material buildup is more likely. Should be easily fixable by having the rotors turned if there is enough material left on them. I'll bet the dealer calls this a wear item and doesn't warranty the work.

Here is a good article on the subject from Stoptech, a high performance brake company:
http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/...otors_myth.htm
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 05:27 PM

I warped my rortos at ~18k miles or so...and just took that as an opportunity to upgrade to PowerSlots. Much better now.

The stock brakes on the '04 suck out loud.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 06:30 PM

On my Goat, it's not the rotors. It is excessive inside tread wear due to the front alignment having too much negative camber. Turn the steering wheel all the way left, and examine the inside tread blocks on each tire. If they are uneven or visibly worn funny, rotate your tires from front to back, problem solved.

EXCEPT MY DEALER REFUSES TO CORRECT THE ALIGNMENT ISSUE THAT FORCES THE FRONT TIRES TO WEAR IN THAT FASHION.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 08:23 PM

If I understood the article - "warped" rotor is not correct but the end result, an uneven rotor surface, is the problem. All the steps are still valid above with the addition of one more.

0.5) If the vibration is slight and just started, try some new semi-metallic pads, break them in, and see if their abrasive nature will removed undesired deposits from the rotor surface. If successful, there is no need to execute any of the following steps unless there is a personal desire.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subdriver
Warped rotors is likely not the cause of your problem. Uneven pad material buildup is more likely. Should be easily fixable by having the rotors turned if there is enough material left on them. I'll bet the dealer calls this a wear item and doesn't warranty the work.

Here is a good article on the subject from Stoptech, a high performance brake company:
http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/...otors_myth.htm

Thanks for the article. I would bet that I have uneven pad build up as after getting my C5 pads on, I had to make a really hard stop on the freeway and I remember seeing the imprint of a pad on my rotor. I was really never aware of the bedding process for brake pads and honestly, that should be explained to everyone, if not performed when getting breaks serviced. The vibration is very bad on my car and I'm not sure if machining them will fix the problem.

As far as the Baer kit, I'm sure that's good for racing or eye candy, but for everyday use, the stock breaks with C5 rotors work well enough. I've seen write-ups by Stoptech where they show that aftermarket brakes really don't affect stopping distance, but improve fade and feel. I don't experience fade in daily driving and don't plan on auto crossing the car.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 09:37 PM

I warped mine at around 7K?! I got into one of those "oh s**t" situations where coming around a bend at 130, the light about 1/8 of a mile up the road turned red. There have a been a few times I've had to hit the brakes pretty hard, but that was the worst situation. Just waiting for the day to convert my 04 over to the baer brakes front and back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in