Weak Driveshaft? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Weak Driveshaft?

Hi all, new member. I just got my GTO last week and am really enjoying it. I'm starting to order a few mods and I just noticed that at tbyrnemotorsports.com they state the GTO has a very weak driveshaft that likes to break on even slightly modified cars. They go on to state that after the driveshaft is replaced with their $900 unit, you need to drop another $500 to replace the cv shafts, after that it's $500 for stub axles. They make it seem that this is necessary to run any kind of real power. Is this all true??

Thanks,
Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 06:43 AM
Rob

Eventually you'll need one if you run 11's all the time. There are a few guys running down that far without incident. But if you are in the low 12's, I'd seriously think about getting one.

Rob
04 IBM M6 GTO
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 08:35 AM

Just a heads up, that is 500 PER SIDE for axles and 500 PER SIDE on stub shafts!!!I'm a BMR dealer if you have any questions, email me at [email protected]

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. I'm thinking about longtubes, exhaust, and a 75 shot. Will I be replacing a driveshaft soon?

Thx
Jason
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 05:03 PM

Been reading a lot on the Australian forums lately. They say to combat the wheel hop that we all have, the best place to start is the driveshaft. By replacing its two piece design and rubber donut bushing, it is reducing, in their eyes, almost all (90%) of the wheel hop. I would think an aluminum or CF driveshaft would be the best. in combinations with doing the Y-arm/control arm bushings for the rear and the sub frame/cradle bushings, you should all but remove the wheel hop from these cars.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 05:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to Whiteshadow
If you're going to run with a CF driveshaft, don't break it at the track! They won't like you, Carbon fiber is very tough to clean up, and kills tires...

With the mods you are planning on running, I don't think you'll need to worry about a driveshaft. Then again, if you are planning on running sticky tires at the track, it's probably a good idea.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

I'm not planning on taking it to the track at all actually, so you think I'll be ok?

Thx
Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in