what does zeta platform mean? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 03:53 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
what does zeta platform mean?

there's a lot of reading all over the internet about the gto going to be based on the zeta platfrom in the near future, but i'm having trouble finding out exactly what a "zeta platfrom" is. can anyone explain it to me please? a picture would be nice too if applicable. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 09:34 AM

Chris. Most manufacturers use a "platform" for more than one vehicle. For GM the new G6 is the same "platform" (chassis design ) as the Saab 9-3 and the Opel Vectra. The platform you are asking about is not yet in production on any vehicle line. The GTO may be built on a dirvitive of this platform. That is what folks are talking about. As no one ( the general public ) has ever driven or even seen a vehicle built on this platform any and all guesses are just that! Guesses.....
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 10:29 AM

To amplify the above, a platform is the basic design of the car's structure. It typically includes the basic underbody structure, suspension locations, wheelbase (though that can be stretched) and the powertrain set-up.

Examples of common platforms:

Chevy Malibu, Malibu Maxx, Pontiac G6, Saab 9-3

Ford Focus, Volvo S40, Mazda 3

Cadillac CTS, SRX, STS (STS is on a stretched platform)

Honda Accord, Honda Odyssey, Acura TL

VW Toureg, Porsche Cayenne

VW Jetta, Golf, GTI, Audi TT

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
To expand a little more;

GM platforms

Randy

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 07:14 PM

then what platform is the current GTO on? Something of a modified Catera platform?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Bastard
then what platform is the current GTO on? Something of a modified Catera platform?
GTO is an Aussie vehicle so it's on an Aussie platform. It has nothing to do with a Catera.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2004, 09:37 AM

DJ,
The Catera was an Opel based ( Omega specifically ) chassis. And yes the current GTO is a derivitive of that same "platform". Both are Opel based. The GTO's suspension is Austraian designed, but the Chassis is the heart of an OPEL. I have to tell you that doesn't bother me. I was forced off a road to avoid a head on collision ( I can only tell you I saw YELLOW headlights-DAMN french car ) in Europe. The Omea based vehicle I wrecked was folded on all four conners. The front wheels were pushed back near the firewall and the trunk ended right behind the rear seats. All four doors opened and closed and the roof did not even BUCKLE !! (It had a sunroof ) It is a well designed, stout chassis. I always wanted an Opel with a great engine after I returned from Europe.....And now I have one, thanks to the Aussie lads we have the best of three continents- great chassis, great suspension, one heck of a strong small block to hussle the whole thing down the road.....

Last edited by GTO TOO; 12-24-2004 at 09:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in