What spark plugs for the ls2? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What spark plugs for the ls2?

I heard it isnt a bad idea to change the factory plugs on the ls2. I was thinking the NGK V-Power Spark Plug; TR55; @ Gap .060? is that the correct gap or should i change?

Thanks Dennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 05:23 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to raven1124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzhead
I heard it isnt a bad idea to change the factory plugs on the ls2. I was thinking the NGK V-Power Spark Plug; TR55; @ Gap .060? is that the correct gap or should i change?

Thanks Dennis
I wouldnít consider it a bad thing to do. Matter of fact, Iím going to pick up some myself. As far as the gap, Iíve seen some at .50 and .55. Iím in no way an expert on spark plugs, but from what Iíve read, TR 55ís are for mostly stock cars with heavily modded cars using TR6ís. Hopefully somebody else could shed a little more light on this topic.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

I was just lookin at partsamerica.com and looked up the ls2 and thats the only tr55 they sell are 60..the rest of the plugs they sell are all .40... but im not expert either so im not sure what to buy.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 06:28 PM

The gap that plugs come in doesn't matter. That can be changed with a gap tool. Its a little piece of metal that has both sides angled, one usually from .020-.045, and the other side from .045-.070. Just slide the tool between the curved metal and the base post up to whatever gap you want. Most tools also have a hook on it to bend the gap back. Basically all you are looking for is a plug that is slightly hotter or colder than stock, depending on what you wanna do. On my 69 GTO, with GM HEI ignition, I used the R44s with a gap of .047 , but the stock plug was R45s w/ gap of .035, Ram Air IV used a R44s w/ gap of .035. It all depends on what your specific engine likes. Just buy the tool, and try a bunch of different gaps.

A quick guide:
Bigger gaps= more spark travel (better combustion burn), but can get covered in gunk easier
Smaller gaps= less spark travel(worse burn), and less chance of gunk

Just find the happy median.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven1124
I wouldnít consider it a bad thing to do. Matter of fact, Iím going to pick up some myself. As far as the gap, Iíve seen some at .50 and .55. Iím in no way an expert on spark plugs, but from what Iíve read, TR 55ís are for mostly stock cars with heavily modded cars using TR6ís. Hopefully somebody else could shed a little more light on this topic.
Started with T55's when the cam went in and changed to the Tr6's. not a bad idea to change them.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

I bought 8 new t55s and a tool to change the gap. Hoping to do on wensday
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzhead
I bought 8 new t55s and a tool to change the gap. Hoping to do on wensday
You'll be surprised how much power the right plugs and gaps will give you. On my 69, I gained 9 hp and 5 torqe. And those are just AC delco plugs. A nice cheap way to get a little power. Good luck, it is worth the time to get em right.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 08:41 PM

Thanks for the info. I might just replace them to make sure they are right and to inspect the factory intalled ones for anything abnormal. Besides, this is the first new car I've purchased in the last 15 years or so where I can actually get to the plugs.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 11:26 PM

Can I put tr66 even though I aint got a maggie yet? I'm gona get a cam first than a maggie next summer! I got a volant CAI,SLP lt, 3inch custom muffs, getting the tune done at cam change!
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 11:29 PM

the question is still in the air over what would be the best gap!!!What are u maggie guys running? how about someone with a cam swap,lt's,cai??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in