What would you do? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What would you do?

I did not know where to ask this since the question contains drivetrain and engine modifications so I decided here would be ok,if not mods please move it.

I am having a cam,UDP,ported intake and ported tb installed on April 2nd so I'd like to get some opinions on what order should I do my next mods keeping in mind that I plan on going supercharged one day however not anytime soon.

I am thinking of a level 4 (775 rwhp/tq) or level 5 (825 rwhp/tq) clutch a few months after the cam then heads or vise versa,I'm not sure.

Should I build up the drivetrain to handle big hp that will come with a SC before I do the heads?

Because with a high performance clutch and with over 400rwhp with just the cam if I'm not careful something in the stock drivetrain is going to break so I'm thinking I maybe should start beefing up the drivetrain before heads.Opinions?

This is going to be a project that will happen over the next I don't know how many years not months because I am on a very tight budget and will do a mod here and there when the funding permits it.

Performance:230/232 .614 .602 114 cam,Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted mids,Spintech,CSP ported intake/tb,UDP,tune by CSP.

Suspension:Pedders big bore shocks,GSR II struts,Lovells RR bushings,Kings 0 drop rears/20mm drop fronts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Do the rear axles and stubs, drag bags and upgrade to a Pedders suspension designed for the style driving you plan to do. You should be fine with a level 4 clutch from Monster.

67 Post Coupe,
69 RA III Judge
06 BOM, M6, 18's
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 08:54 AM

^ what he said.

2003 Corvette Z06 - MGW shifter, Corsa X pipe, Corsa Xtreme exhaust, Texas Speed long tubes w/o cats, PowerStop rotors/pads, Conti DWS tires, C6Z51 F&R sways, C5R headlights, tuned

04 GTO - sold

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Where the women are scarce and the sheep are scared. So. Cali
It's okay to build up for future hp/tq increases but make sure you don't over do it. My power is in my sig but I don't get on my car so much that I'm worried about breaking stuff. Sure it can happen but I'll take care of it when it happens. From the diff back everything is still stock. I do have a Spec 2 clutch and a one-piece driveshaft from Inland Empire Driveshafts. I've read stories of some GTOs with a helluva lot more power than mine that are still running on all stock drivetrain components except for the clutch. If you plan on doing a lot of drag racing then I say go ahead and beef up everything if you have the money. If not, just put the cash aside just in case something does fail. If something doesn't break and some other unfortunate mishap (i.e. family, health, finances, etc.) happens to come up, you can use that cash to take care of it. I try to keep at least $5K aside whether it's cash, credit or both for any unforeseen things with the car that might pop up out of nowhere.

~I'm ya huckleberry~
~516rwhp/500rwtq~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC11NCGTEvI
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 10:32 AM

Looking at your sig you pretty much have the suspension already taken care of. I would take it a baby step more and get rid of the sloppy bushings back there. Go with Energy Suspension bushings, those will save you some coin. X-member and control arms you'll be good to go. That will help with minimizing wheel hop and reduce the chances of breaking stuff in the drivetrain. I would do the driveshaft first, before the half shafts and stubs. The driveshaft is a thin hollow tube with rubber donuts with the half shafts they are solid. Not saying that they can't be broken they will survive longer than the driveshaft would. And depending if your a 05+ they are stonger than the 04's. I would also do the clutch, my clutch was slipping with 362whp and got worse with the supercharger. The tranny would hold up its pretty stong but an upgrade wouldn't hurt. It's up to you if you want the rear diff insert or the Harrop Diff cover. I would beef up the drivetrain first before heads and supercharger, its no fun when you have the power on tap and can't use it without the fear of breaking something.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice guys!

I have never had my car on the drag strip and really don't intend to do so unless I decide to do it one day just to see what it can do.

I hardly ever drive my car hard,the only time I really get on it is when an opportunity arises for a highway roll.

So really the car is for roll racing from time to time and that's basically it.

Performance:230/232 .614 .602 114 cam,Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted mids,Spintech,CSP ported intake/tb,UDP,tune by CSP.

Suspension:Pedders big bore shocks,GSR II struts,Lovells RR bushings,Kings 0 drop rears/20mm drop fronts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBSGTO View Post
Thanks for the advice guys!

I have never had my car on the drag strip and really don't intend to do so unless I decide to do it one day just to see what it can do.

I hardly ever drive my car hard,the only time I really get on it is when an opportunity arises for a highway roll.

So really the car is for roll racing from time to time and that's basically it.
Cool. In that case I don't see a need for upgrading the stubs, halfshafts, etc. Hard lauching... yes. Freeway runs... no. Even all the suspension upgrades aren't necessary unless you're gonna do some occassional canyon carving. Well it seems like you're gonna have a great setup. Keep up posted!

~I'm ya huckleberry~
~516rwhp/500rwtq~

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6QTS11OZ View Post
Cool. In that case I don't see a need for upgrading the stubs, halfshafts, etc. Hard lauching... yes. Freeway runs... no. Even all the suspension upgrades aren't necessary unless you're gonna do some occassional canyon carving. Well it seems like you're gonna have a great setup. Keep up posted!
Well if I really don't need to upgrade all those things then that would mean I could be supercharged sooner than later.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBSGTO View Post
Well if I really don't need to upgrade all those things then that would mean I could be supercharged sooner than later.
You know, I'm kinda in the same boat as you. I'm putting out a decent amount of power and other than a Spec 2 clutch, one-piece driveshaft, drag bags and Pedders 0 drop rear drag springs, I haven't done anything else to the car. I went to the track a few years ago and since then I've really lost interest in drag racing. I don't clown around in the city but occasionally lay into it a little on the freeway. When GM4Life was recently upgrading a lot of his suspension components I got a quick bug to do the same but thought otherwise since I really need to pay off some bills. Maybe after I come off of vacation I might do something but until then I'm cool.

~I'm ya huckleberry~
~516rwhp/500rwtq~

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6QTS11OZ View Post
You know, I'm kinda in the same boat as you. I'm putting out a decent amount of power and other than a Spec 2 clutch, one-piece driveshaft, drag bags and Pedders 0 drop rear drag springs, I haven't done anything else to the car. I went to the track a few years ago and since then I've really lost interest in drag racing. I don't clown around in the city but occasionally lay into it a little on the freeway. When GM4Life was recently upgrading a lot of his suspension components I got a quick bug to do the same but thought otherwise since I really need to pay off some bills. Maybe after I come off of vacation I might do something but until then I'm cool.
Man I have never been in a car with anything close to the rwhp your car has,I'm sure it must be an awesome feeling driving it.I'm only putting down 361/370 and can't wait to be putting down big hp numbers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in