wheel straight - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
wheel straight

Have to take my car back to the dealership now for the 3rd time ,for a alignment... The steering wheel is off center(very annoying) to the left when im driving straight, normally tell on the highway....Hate to be anal bout this car, isnt this part of the alignment service though? ARE THEY BEING LAZY? OR WHAT....... 05 GTO Autocross p.s They also rotated the tires AFTER they performed the alignment.. huh?

Last edited by john g; 04-11-2010 at 09:29 AM. Reason: grammer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 01:26 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
The tire location should NOT effect the alignment which is made with the suspension components. If you are a large person you may want to have them align it with you in the car.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

?

was talkin about the steering wheel being straight inside the car .... tire location ? what are u talkin about? an alignment uknow... I thought making the wheel straight was part of the alignment service,along with rotating the tires BEFORE the actual alignment...... please dont confuse me.....

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 03:26 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Sorry. Wasn't trying to be confusing. Of course the steering wheel should be straight when the alignment is done. If your a large person it could throw the steering wheel off slightly, that's why the suggestion of having it done with you in the car. If you're of normal weight it shouldn't be an issue.
You said: "They also rotated the tires AFTER they performed the alignment.. huh?"

That's were the 'tire location' comes in, it shouldn't matter if they rotated the tires before the alignment or after the alignment. The alignment is done with the suspension components, not the tires. The only thing the tires have to do with the alignment is the heads attach to the rims.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Kool beans thanks

As far as the rotation is concerend..All I know is I brought
the car in for an alignment.. It drifted to the right.. Got the car back, it was worse , drifted more to the right.. Told the service guy , they brought the car back to the service man..He said that he had put the alignment to specs,
THEN rotated the tires... He put the tires back , and the car was fine... except now for the off center wheel lololol.... Like I told one of the other moderator s .. I hate to be anal about this car, but I think it deserves it!!!!! THANKS AGAIN.... ment no disrespect, just trying to get answers....
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 10:29 PM

If you have tires that aren't wearing even they could cause a pull even with the alignment being correct. Thats caused by faulty suspension pieces. Usually bushings. Some half ass shops just want to get it in and out and short hit on checking suspension components and just align it. This is a band aid fix and the problem still exists. You could also have a slightly shifted belt in a tire that will make it do some wacky things.

<-- Guess which ones quicker?.....Nope! Not even close.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in