Wheels and exhaust help for my new 05! - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wheels and exhaust help for my new 05!

just picked up the first black on red 6spd in nj, and i love the car, but i already have the bug.. was wondering if there are any aftermarket exhausts for the 05s and if 18x8.5 wheels will fit. also wanted to know the widest tires that would fit. i post some pic when the weather gets a little nicer. this car is a beast. went from an 03 g35 coupe to this. i am very happy i decided to go with this car. please let me know guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 08:38 PM

Congrats on the purchase. I dont think there are any aftermarket exhasut quite yet.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 09:44 PM

Wheels and Exhaust

Wheels: I had a set of 18 x 8 wheels made by Boyd Coddington. The pattern design is called Genesis. It's within their Gotcha series. They take about 6 weeks to make -- and they look great. I don't think getting 8.5s underneath the front of the car will be a problem at all. On the back, I'll bet you can get 10's under there, easy. I saw a street Monaro down under built by a racing fabrication shop -- and they had something like 19 x 9 Breytons up front and 20 x 10s out back. It was ridiculous!

Look at it this way, the offset on the factory wheels is 6.125. To calculate the maximum size, just get under there and make some calculations.

And don't forget, you want wheels with a little depth to them. Never been a fan of wheels where the dish and rim are on the same plane -- like the spokes on the factory ones. With a custom built wheel, you can avoid that.

Exhaust: No aftermarket kits are out that I'm aware of. Dollar for dollar, though, exhaust kits are not a very good value. You get far more bang for your buck via alternative methods, such as chip and/or software development. Look at it this way, the factory system sounds and breathes plenty good already. If you're looking for power gain, there are other ways to further ahead.

Good luck with your car. The new GTO is awesome. As you say, A BEAST! For a picture of my car with the Boyd's wheels on it, just go into the gallery and look at recent posts. My car's yellow with polished five spoke wheels.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_a_betterperson
On the back, I'll bet you can get 10's under there, easy. I saw a street Monaro down under built by a racing fabrication shop -- and they had something like 19 x 9 Breytons up front and 20 x 10s out back. It was ridiculous!
Not without rolling the fenders.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 02:01 AM

I did 19x8.5 & 19x10 I Forged wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in