Won't go into 1st gear sometimes? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Won't go into 1st gear sometimes?

I'm having this problem say twice a month when I come to a stop at a light or stop sign, and put the transmission into neutral. When it's time to go again, I push down on the clutch pedal, and try to move the shifter to 1st gear, but the shifter will only partially move into 1st with the clutch fully engaged.

I had the clutch assembly replaced about 1 and a half months ago in which I've have had the car for 3 months now. This issue has surfaced after the replacement clutch. It's an 06 with 37,XXX miles on it. Shop states that they replaced trans fluid as well or did they?

Any ideas of what the issue could be?

Last edited by prayforgray01; 11-19-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 06:11 PM

I got an 06 with about 25K miles 3 months ago too and I have had this issue maybe twice, each time it happened I would drop it into 2nd and back to 1st while holding the clutch and it would fully engage. I've been wanting to get a short shifter but there's a few things on the list before it.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Really? I don't know dude, i myself am canceling out a clutch issue due to just having it replaced a month ago.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prayforgray01 View Post
I'm having this problem say twice a month when I come to a stop at a light or stop sign, and put the transmission into neutral. When it's time to go again, I push down on the clutch pedal, and try to move the shifter to 1st gear, but the shifter will only partially move into 1st with the clutch fully engaged.

I had the clutch assembly replaced about 1 and a half months ago in which I've have had the car for 3 months now. This issue has surfaced after the replacement clutch. It's an 06 with 37,XXX miles on it. Shop states that they replaced trans fluid as well or did they?

Any ideas of what the issue could be?
Im going off of what was told to me at the shop that did my tune and dyno. They also replaced my clutch with a Monster Clutch Stage 2. They told me its my POS stock shifter. The linkage in the shifter is "spongie" causing there to be play in the shifter when you try to maneuver it into gear. Changing out the shifter should make a world of difference. I haven't changed mine as of yet, but its on the list as one of the next upgrades.

God Bless Billiards!!!!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Amen to that. Definitely hate the stock shifter, but can see also how that would cause it to not fully slip into first. Makes sense
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 08:57 AM

My gto and c5 do this on occasion.

2003 Corvette Z06 - MGW shifter, Corsa X pipe, Corsa Xtreme exhaust, Texas Speed long tubes w/o cats, PowerStop rotors/pads, Conti DWS tires, C6Z51 F&R sways, C5R headlights, tuned

04 GTO - sold
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 01:43 PM

my cars having the same issue, I was thinking it was the hurst short throw that was the problem, but i might keep a closer eye on it now.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 04:00 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Shifter should not being doing that. What I would try is putting it in first gear on a flat surface and with the clutch depressed rev the engine quick a few times. If you feel the car moving you have a slave and/or install problem.

2004 Blk/Rd M6
6.3 litre LS1

Built and tuned by svede
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svede1212 View Post
Shifter should not being doing that. What I would try is putting it in first gear on a flat surface and with the clutch depressed rev the engine quick a few times. If you feel the car moving you have a slave and/or install problem.
So what would you say to having your shifter out of gear and pushing into 1st without pressing the shifter and feeling the car slightly move, like barely at all but I can feel the car sort of load and on a flat surface it'll move really slowly.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbejj123 View Post
So what would you say to having your shifter out of gear and pushing into 1st without pressing the shifter and feeling the car slightly move, like barely at all but I can feel the car sort of load and on a flat surface it'll move really slowly.

Like Svede said, all of this sounds like slave cylinder adjustment and or incorrect adjustment. If your car is engaging and moving with the clutch pedal fully engaged then your slave cylinder is not moving the fork with the throw out bearing enough to disengage to pressure plate.

Also with the others who have problems going into first gear, same thing. Your pressure plate is not fully disengaging. Try to move your shifter without pressing the clutch. It is very hard to do. Nearly impossible to put it in any gear but you can usually force it to neutral without engaging the clutch.

To all of you I would check your master cylinder and slave cylinder to ensure your getting full travel of the fork. The slave cylinders pivot point can be adjusted to give more travel. If the shop just threw it in and did not measure it against the old one, or check for full travel then that could be your issue.

You want it done right? You do it yourself. That's my motto.

2004 yellow jacket M6: AEM intake, SLP LM2, 05/06 front brakes with DBA slotted rotors & hawk pads, B&M shifter, MSD wires, NGK TR55 plugs, Diablo predator tuned..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in