Wow -- $75 for an oil/filter change - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow -- $75 for an oil/filter change

Took my car into the local Pontiac dealer today for it's first oil/filter change
(900 miles)...the cost was almost $75...ouch. Even with Mobil 1, that seems a little steep to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 03:58 PM

Well, you have to think too, these are 6.0 litre engines. That's a lot of oil to fill these beasts up.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 04:26 PM

Garage
also we use synthetic oil so u dont change the oil as often, so its works out about the same

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

I was planning on changing the oil again at 5K miles, then every 5K after that. Is that too frequent? Then again, I don't plan on putting many miles on this car...seeing as it's going to be parked for several months during the wintertime and if the weather's nice during the spring/summer I prefer to ride my Kawasaki.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 05:29 PM

My dealer charges $50.00 for the GTO. I never expected to actually get a good price from a dealer, but there you go. Reagan Pontiac in Omaha FTW.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergoat2k6
I was planning on changing the oil again at 5K miles, then every 5K after that. Is that too frequent? Then again, I don't plan on putting many miles on this car...seeing as it's going to be parked for several months during the wintertime and if the weather's nice during the spring/summer I prefer to ride my Kawasaki.
Here's a recent thread I started on the topic. Hope it helps.

Gerry
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 09:14 PM

My dealer charges 9.50 a quart for Mobil 1. I can get it a lot less at Wal-mart. I'm starting to use Amsoil. Just got in my current change and filter for 67 bucks and the dealer won't charge too much to put it in. Gave up doing that work long ago. The Amsoil is supposed to be good for 25,000 miles, doubt I'll wait that long, but never know. CR did a report many years ago in NY taxis and changed at 3,000, 5,000 and 7,500 and there were no differences after 100,000 miles at tear down so I'm not too religious about a short cycle on the oil.
Anyways, not too surprised about how expensive the change was given the excessive dealer markup.

2004 QuickSilver GTO
M6
Stock
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 07:27 AM

Retail on synthetic oils averages about 8.00 to 10.00 dollars a quart plus a filter and then app. 1/2 hr shop time. Realisticaly that probably about right as far as pricing goes.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 09:33 AM
440 RWHP/400 RWTQ

My dealer lets me bring my own oil (Sam's Club $29/case), and charges me $14 for filter and labor. So $43 per oil change is pretty good I think.

2005 IBM M6
Weld Prostars
Flowmaster Super 40's
Chris White Guage Changes
HPE Cam Package(S-Cam, AR LT's,Lingenfelter CAI,UD Pulley, X-Pipe, Ported Factory Intake)
BMR Drag Bags
440/396
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marathonman
My dealer lets me bring my own oil (Sam's Club $29/case), and charges me $14 for filter and labor. So $43 per oil change is pretty good I think.
Your dealer must like you alot, $14.00 doesn't pay the tech, much less the filter or the shop time. I own my own shop and I'm not usually inclined to allow customers to bring their own parts to be installed. I've never been to a resturant that allowed me to bring my own steak for them to cook. Kinda defeats the purpose of being in business if you've gotta do work for people and lose money on the job . That happens enough without intentionally allowing it to happen.

Just my personal opinion as a business owner, not meant to offend anyone in any way, shape or form.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in