y manual? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
y manual?

newagegto.com says that the gto engineers said that the automatic has slightly faster acceleration than the manual. i haven't learned to drive a manual yet, so i was just wondering what the benefit is of getting a manual other than gas mileage. thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 01:21 PM

It really comes down to personal preference. I like the manual because

1. I think it is more fun to drive.
2. Slightly better gas mileage.
3. Generally less prone to break and cheaper to fix.
4. Likely better resale value in this type of car.
5. More wow factor from people looking at the car.
6. Car is $400 or so less when you net out the M6 vs gas guzzler tax.

But to each his/her own. No matter what the tranny, all GTOs are terrific cars.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volley

4 mpg better equals to, based on 15k miles a year- 150 less gallons=$ 292.50

Last edited by 05GTO; 01-04-2005 at 08:23 PM.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 02:09 PM

You can make an auto faster with higher stall, and shift kits. But the things Volley posted are true, I for one, would only buy an auto in a daily driver, or a truck. In a sports car, a Manual is best. (Unless you are running 10's or less) They're much more fun to drive, learn, and you'll see.

How granny does a newer auto vette look? When I see an auto sports-car, I think of an old lady, that wanted something sporty, but something she could easily drive.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 02:11 PM

If your looking for economy buy a hybrid or something :-). I always hated how in a 4 speed automatic i would seem to not be able to get in the right gear. Like if i was in 4th gear at a certain speed 2nd gear would rev too high and 3rd would rev too low to get good pickup. I had an autostick so i could select gears. With 6 gears you have a better choice. Of course my last car a 6 cyl I guess the LS1 has a flat tourque curve so maybe the 4 speed is ok. There were other posts about not being able to get it in the right gear though when a guy was racing a wrx.

-Frank
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volley

1. I think it is more fun to drive.
3. Generally less prone to break and cheaper to fix.
4. Likely better resale value in this type of car.
5. More wow factor from people looking at the car.
6. Car is $400 or so less when you net out the M6 vs gas guzzler tax.

But to each his/her own. No matter what the tranny, all GTOs are terrific cars.
On #5, why does it have more "wow factor"? I mean, what goes through peoples' heads to make them think "wow" when they notice that a car is manual?
there has to be some kind of major horrible setback that automatics have with performance. people ALWAYS make fun of me for having an automatic. EVERYONE says i'm a ricer because my car is automatic. also, when websites test 0-60 times, they always choose manual. if they're trying to get the best 0-60 time, why would they choose manual? thanks and sorry for making such a big deal out of this.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 07:38 PM

In the old days (I'm such a dinosaur) automatics were very inefficient in the amount of power they transmitted and shifting speed and they were always much slower than the same car with a manual. Even though the newer automatics have fixed most of that, the perception is still there (I myself doubt the GM guys claim that the auto is faster). Back then, most manuals were only three speed and then the four speeds made for a wow factor. Then came the five speeds and now the six speeds with even more wow factor.

My advice - 1) enjoy what you have, 2) learn to drive a manual as soon as you can so you will be able to have either one and 3) don't worry what other people say about your car. There will always be somebody who has a newer, faster or cooler car or wants to debate the merits of one car over another. that's part of the fun.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 09:34 PM

The choice of a manual or automatic may be determined by where one lives. If I lived in a large city I would probably get an automatic. I have been stuck in traffic jams with a manual and can surely see the instant benefits of an automatic.

On the other hand, if you live in an area with little traffic, I find that a manual is much more fun. I like to shift, to blip the throttle on down shifts for a perfectly matched shift (occasionally happens), to heel and toe (not easy on the GT0), to be able to select whichever gear I think is appropriate, etc.

If the GTO automatic was at least a five speed, it would also have made my decision a little tougher. In today's market, four speed automatics are yesterday's news. Even my very basic Mazda Tribute has a five speed automatic. This is one area where GM has lagged behind for both the Corvette and the GTO. They deserve better!

Last edited by jerhofer; 01-05-2005 at 03:50 PM.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 10:48 PM

Because you can't side-step the clutch at 4 grand in second in an auto...
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 11:07 PM

There are only a handful of cars that are quicker with a traditional auto over a manual. Some of the newer sequential autos are making great head room and have milisecond shifts and little power loss. The '05 GTO has been shown to be equal if not faster with the auto and the same for some of the other LS1 based cars. These cars do benefit from a ton of torque and can handle a higher stall speed unlike an auto on a 4cyl.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in