1Likes
  • 1 Post By trahan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
67 GTO Brake conversion issue

I have a 67 goat that came from the factory with manual drum brakes all the way around. I bought a front disc power conversion from SSBC brakes and have had the following issues. First: I realized that my 428 tri-power didn't generate enough vacuum 16" to run the booster. Not wanting to install a vacuum pump, I returned the booster and went with a 1" bore master cylinder. All of the brakes were bled and when I took it out the brake pedal was as hard as a rock and it stopped worse than it did with drum brakes. As it takes more pressure to operate discs verses drums the kit recommended that I install the provided pressure adjustment valve between the distribution block and the rear brakes which I did. I have adjusted this valve to limit the rear brake pressure and still, the front brakes are terrible, pedal is rock hard and car doesn't stop well at all. I have contacted a number of brake suppliers and they told me to take the master cylinder off and double check the bore size to make sure that it's a 1" and not a 1 1/4" Any other ideas other than going back to a vacuum booster and installing a vacuum pump? Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 10:23 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Garage
Seems the SSBC conversion is not a good choice. Recall several other users having problems and could not solve them. Support gave them things to check, do, or replace, and the issue was never resolved. It is even possible you have a bad master cylinder right out of the box.

Power and manual brakes can have a different pin position on the brake pedal under the dash. It changes the ratio of the pedal to provide a different fulcrum and thus a different pressure on the master cylinder. I also believe that the pushrod used for a manual master versus power brakes may be different in length. The manual gives specific stick-out lengths for the power brakes depending on which type manufacturer used.

From my 1968 Factory Manual just to give you some figures, power and manual drum brakes used a master cylinder with 1" dia bore, while power and manual drum/disc brakes used 1.125" dia bore (calipers on the 1968 cars used a 4-piston design so later 1969 and up master cylinder bore could be different). Decreasing MC bore size will decrease your pedal effort and increase your pedal travel. Conversely, a larger bore will increase your pedal effort and decrease your pedal travel. A too large of a bore master will make for a real hard pedal. Learned this on an old truck I am working on and someone installed the incorrect larger bore when I needed the smaller bore for my application.

Pedal height for manual brakes is measured from the underside of the standard pedal pad to floor pan and is 7 1/8," but I have a line diagram using the power brakes and the pedal is closer to the floor with a measurement of 4 1/2".

Make sure you bench bleed the master cylinder while it is out of the car to ensure no air bubbles in the bore's piston.

I don't know what type of disc brake shoes/rear shoes you are using, but if you were sent the "hard" metallic compound that is also know as the "premium" or "lifetime" type, they will not stop well and require a lot of pedal pressure. They work best when hot which does no good for everyday driving. Get a set of the inexpensive pads/shoes which are softer and grab better at lower speeds. They also won't chew up the rotors or drums as fast as the hard material.

Being no brake expert, I found this thread on the internet that may be of some help: Master Cylinder bore size= what is the criteria?

Also found this YouTube video. Don't know if this applies to your situation or not. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=qPLaPv8DITE

Last edited by PontiacJim; 05-25-2019 at 01:35 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Brake conversion

Thank you so much PontiacJim. I will be digging into it this weekend!
PontiacJim likes this.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Sounds like your bore is too large for your application. When doing a modification it becomes a bit of a crap shoot on what will work best. Try a smaller bore I would try .9 or even less and see if that helps.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
I have 15" of vacuum at idle and run an 11" Booster, works great.
I have A Right Stuff Detailing Front Power Disc conversion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > GTO Forum Discussion > Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in